Menu

A server ftp ?

2003-01-06
2003-01-24
  • Patrick Filion

Patrick Filion - 2003-01-06

I wonder what ppl expect from a ftp server. What would you like to see in this project ? 

• Wesley Wannemacher

I expect security. I honestly believe that all other features come in second. I am going to pose a question early on (with little to no research) and ask how we plan to assume a user's identity or verify passwords. These seem to be very platform specific, and I for one am not really akin to the idea of doing user/password management within the application. Just about any good OS (even Windoze) will have good user management in place already, hopefully we can exploit it. I am willing to work on some POSIX.1 compliant C code to be called through JNI for *nix-based systems. Windows will have to be done in a completely different manner.

thoughts?

• Janne Nevalainen

There propably aready exists a class able to handle login/passwd with system, having own implementation done in each OS / JRE.

But do we wan't the server to use system login/passwd, and send them out in plain text, or use own login/passwd for ftp? Or maybe make both options?

• Patrick Filion

Patrick Filion - 2003-01-24

It's interesting to see that we pretty much have the same concern about the ftp server, which is great.  jnevalai point out that it must be very secure.  I agree totally with you,  if it's not secure ppl wont use it even if it's a good, fast and well design. wawanem  talks about a good basic ftp design and documentation before going any further.  Thoses are great ideas that I share with both of you.

Here's my suggestion.  Today, january 24, I will hand out my code to you guys and set up the CVS tree. I will give you a UML class schematic, so you can understand more quicky.  This gives you the opportunity to bring improvement to the structure or to the source code.  From today to the end of february ( around that point )  I suggest working on the basic,  handling commands and stability while providing uml schematic + documentation.  This is probably the most important part of the project. The server base must be strong otherwise, we are going to have all kind of problems during the next steps.  Then,  we'll move on to security.  Since we are using Java and portability must be a prority, using class from JRE or creating our own class in Java seem more adapted to the project.  What you guys think about that ??

• Janne Nevalainen

At start it might be good if we would consentrate on creating a basic ftp-server done in good object oriented way.

If we get a server, able to receive and prosess control- and data-connections, handle local files, etc, functions each in own encapsulated class, and some good UML-documents describing it, it would be quite easy to later add almost any features in it.

I hope we would atleast create some diagram about what features the software needs (forexample control-connection, data-connection, local file handling, logging, login/passwd handling etc.)

And then a class-diagram, describing what classes are needed, what methods and variables they include, and how the classes connect to each other.

Those will help us to see what this software looks like as a whole, and how it should be implemented.