Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Postgis history

bill told
2012-05-12
2013-06-05
  • bill told
    bill told
    2012-05-12

Hi, OpenJump keeps the history of postgis queries for the duration of the session. The history disappears when OJ is closed.
    Is there a way to make the history permanent or to save the history before OJ is closed. Where is the query history kept?
    Many thanks
    B.

• Hi,
    You're right, history of postgis queries are not persistent. Indeed history is managed in a map containing one history list of queries per connction.
    I think it is possible to make them persistent with two main pitfall :
    - If history is kept, each new query will be added to the previous list and the list will grow up indefinitely. We must implement a kind of FIFO list with a reasonable (or configurable) number of queries.
    - Currently, the history keep any query the user tried to execute, either valid or invalid. In my opinion, this is convenient during the session, but useless to persist an invalid query.

Michaël

• bill told
    bill told
    2012-05-12

Thank you Michael for the info. What you are saying makes sense, I wouldn't worry too much about the invalid queries though, a flag to identify them would be enough, but even without it, it would be preferable to have the complete history than none at all….

• By the way, do you know that the query used to build a layer is now saved with the project.
    You don't have access to the whole history, but you can at least save and edit queries used
    for your project's layer.

right-click on layer > Database > Edit query

• bill told
    bill told
    2012-05-13

Thanks Michael, no I didn't know. That is certainly of help. I have one more suggestion if you don't mind.
    I think it would be nice if the SQL history was a drop down list so one can access specific entries without cycling through all the entries (e.g. something like PGAdmin III). It's a convenience thing though, not an issue.
    Bill