Some basic development info

Help
2008-02-12
2013-05-15
  • Scott Tabar
    Scott Tabar
    2008-02-12

Greetings,

I was just wondering what is the minimum version of Java is JTV being developed for?

It appears like it might be 1.4. 

I am asking because I am needing to make some modifications and I like to work with a targeted version of 1.5 to utilize things such as generics and enums to name two.  I would like to push some of my work back in to the main stream, but really don't want to cause conflicts if this project is stuck in 1.4 or earlier.

Thanks for the version info,
          Scott

• Alok Saldanha
      Alok Saldanha
      2008-02-13

Dear Scott,

The majority of the code was written several years ago, which is why it has a strong 1.3/1.4 feel. There is no real target platform, as long it runs more or less "fine" on windows, mac and linux with recent SUN JVMs (even this last bit doesn't really hold right now, as I have been somewhat time constrained in my bug fixing). I think the advantages of generics are worth introducing them to the code. As I understand it, it is should also be possible to compile a JAR that is backwards compatible, although I haven't looked into the details. What sorts of things are you thinking of doing? IT might be good to move this to the (newly public) developers forum.

-Alok