Help
CGozzini
2012-02-14
2012-09-15
  • CGozzini
    CGozzini
    2012-02-14

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling with the very first example in Chapter 3, "Getting Started". I
    would really appreciate any any help/clarification.

I'm on:

• Windows XP SP1 (at the moment we cannot upgrade to SP2 due to other software incompatibility)
    • Eclipse 3.7 Indigo (JEE bundle)
    • JDK 6 update 30
    • Java EE SDK 6, which is not explicitly mentioned in the guide (only JDK is mentioned), but after I had the following problem and since in Chapter 2 Report is stated to be a JEE thing, I supposed I needed it too. Installing it made no difference to this point.

I get on console:

14-feb-2012 11.23.51 jsystem.framework.JSystemProperties initLogger
    INFO: Logger was init
    14-feb-2012 11.23.52 jsystem.framework.scenario.JTestContainer findRunnerTest
    AVVERTENZA: Failed to find runner test for test TestInfo in jcontainter Scenario
    14-feb-2012 11.23.53 junit.framework.SystemTestCaseImpl jsystemTestPreExecution
    INFO: Running test: helloJSystem

11:23:53: Hello JSystem

and in Failure Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at jsystem.framework.report.EventParser.startTest(EventParser.java:51)
        at jsystem.framework.report.RunnerListenersManager.startTest(RunnerListenersManager.java:702)
        at junit.framework.JSystemJUnit4ClassRunner$TestListenerAdapter.testStarted(JSystemJUnit4ClassRunner.java:172)
        at org.junit.runner.notification.RunNotifier$3.notifyListener(RunNotifier.java:83)
        at org.junit.runner.notification.RunNotifier$SafeNotifier.run(RunNotifier.java:37)
        at org.junit.runner.notification.RunNotifier.fireTestStarted(RunNotifier.java:80)
        at org.junit.internal.runners.MethodRoadie.run(MethodRoadie.java:36)
        at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner.invokeTestMethod(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:88)
        at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner.runMethods(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:51)
        at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner$1.run(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:44)
        at org.junit.internal.runners.ClassRoadie.runUnprotected(ClassRoadie.java:27)
        at org.junit.internal.runners.ClassRoadie.runProtected(ClassRoadie.java:37)
        at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner.run(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:42)
        at junit.framework.JSystemJUnit4ClassRunner.run(JSystemJUnit4ClassRunner.java:216)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:50)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:467)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
        at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)

OR, only for the first run after a clean build:

14-feb-2012 11.26.24 jsystem.framework.JSystemProperties initLogger
    INFO: Logger was init
    14-feb-2012 11.26.25 jsystem.framework.sut.SutFactory getSutFile
    AVVERTENZA: Can't find sut file: C:\jsystemworkspace\TestFirstTest\classes\sut\default.xml
    14-feb-2012 11.26.25 jsystem.framework.scenario.JTestContainer findRunnerTest
    AVVERTENZA: Failed to find runner test for test TestInfo in jcontainter Scenario
    14-feb-2012 11.26.25 junit.framework.SystemTestCaseImpl jsystemTestPreExecution
    INFO: Running test: helloJSystem

11:26:25: Hello JSystem

Chapter 11, "JSystem Quick Start Project", seems to give the same instructions
    as chapter 3, in this regard.

Also:

1- The guide lists only JDK as a prerequisite, but do I in fact need Java EE
    SDK also?

2- I'm following the guide accluded with JSystem istelf, and not the one in
    the .zip linked in the homepage. They are different, and the accluded one
    seems the most refined to me. Is that so? Which is in fact the most up to
    date?

3- In the Chapter 3 example code there's a "@@T" annotation (it's white on
    light gray, quite difficult to see) which is not present in the corresponding
    example code in Chapter 11, and that raises a compile error; is that spurious?

4- At first I thought it was a namespace/package problem, since the example
    code cointains "package org.jsystem.quickstart;" but the guide doesn't
    instruct to specify the package name in the class creation form, and that
    results in a compile error. After getting around this to be able to compile,
    it seems to make no difference in declaring the test class in the default
    package or in org.jsystem.quickstart. Is this right or am I missing something?

(Is there maybe someone I should contact directly for feedback on the guide?)

Thank you very much for any help/clarification!

• Itai Agmon
    Itai Agmon
    2012-02-26

Do you execute the test from the IDE? If you do, try to execute the test from
    the GUI.

• CGozzini
    CGozzini
    2012-02-28

Hello itai_agmon, thanks for your answer.

Yes, I was running it from Eclipse, and yes if I run it from the GUI it in
    fact works, but I get in the command line window:

AVVERTENZA: Fail to load test code because java2html jar is missing. de.java2html.javasource.JavaSourceParser

Even more importantly, I still need to run it from Eclipse, for debug purpose
    etc.

How should I proceed?

Thank you and best regards.