8bits bad quality

Help
wantsee
2006-09-29
2013-04-25
  • wantsee

wantsee - 2006-09-29

Hi,
    I tried PCM 16bits 8000Hz, it is perfect!
    But for PCM 8bits 8000Hz, after encoding and decoding, I can't here anything clearly. Is it jspeex only work for 16bits?
    Because the original 16bits files size is double than 8bits', I really want to use 8bits wave files.
    Please give me some advice!

• Marc Gimpel

Marc Gimpel - 2006-09-30

I'm not sure I understand what you want.
      If you want to use PCM 8bit 8kHZ why do you want to use speex? Speex is an audio compression algorithm and used to compress audio so where is the problem in using 16bit PCM? Speex is 10 times smaller then 16bit PCM so why settle for a factor 2 using 8bit PCM? For that matter have you ever listened to 8bit 8kHz PCM, the quality is awful, and speex won't make it any better. And the codec probably won't have enough to go on to encode the audio well. Speex isn't magic it can't do everything. But Speex is vey flexible and can do a lot for you (more then just about any other speech codec) if you understand how to use it.

• wantsee

wantsee - 2006-10-02

Thanks for your response.
      Speex is awesome. It can compress voice files over 10 times. It is perfect for sending voice files via Internet.
      In my project, I use a voice server to record voice from telephones, then encoding the voice files. After edcoding the server send fhe file via Internet to the second voice server. The second voice server receivd voice files from Internet, then decoding and spreading.
      Two voice servers support two formats voice files: PCM 8bits, 8kHz (size 480k/mim) .wav format or PCM 16bits, 8kHz (size 960k/mim) .wav format.
      Speex compress voice file small enough for tansfoer via Internet. I only want to improve voice services performace so I hope speex can handle 8bits smaller files very well.
      I try to use speex to encode 8bits file is ok. When I decode from .spx file, it is become 16bits file. The voice quality is good. I didn’t read source code. I want to know I only need to change some parameters or need to change source code.
      Please give me more advice!
      Thanks again!

• Marc Gimpel

Marc Gimpel - 2006-10-02

If you are recording 8bit audio from a telephone, then it is probably encoded in G711 A-law or Mu-law which is not pure PCM. If such is the case, decode the 8bit G711 into 16 bit PCM.