Help
bootsy
2010-10-12
2013-04-29
  • bootsy
    bootsy
    2010-10-12

I have 2 questions:

In order to do further processing of the error message I would like know how I could assign the error message to a global variable?

Is there any progress status I could read through a global variable as well?

Thanks b00tsy

• I'm not sure I understand your questions.  What error message do you have in mind?  If you mean the font warning message, then there are some methods of capturing that message described in the jsMath author's documentation for changing the font warning message.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what you have in mind.

For your second question, no, there is no global variable indicating jsMath's status.  Synchronizing your actions with those of jsMath is not very easy, but some techniques are discussed in the authror's documentation on synchronizing with jsMath

An alternative might be to use MathJax, which is jsMath's successor, instead.  It has a much more flexible synchronization mechanism (through signals and callbacks).

Davide

• bootsy
    bootsy
    2010-10-21

Hi Davide,

thanks for your answers.

My question regarding the error message focuses on "how can I grab the content of the error message, e.g. "} missing" and display it in another manner to the user than the default jsMath.

I didn't know of MathJax yet. If it is jsMaths successor I will switch to it immediately. Thanks for pointing to that new project. It looks very well documented, I will have a look if I can answer the questions myself or if you have the certain variables in mind I should read out, I would also appreciate if you could tell them to me

b00tsy

• Ah, now your question makes more sense.  No, jsMath doesn't have a means of doing that. 

There are some hooks in MathJax that would make that possible.  See, for example, the extensions/TeX/noErrors.js file in the (in the unpacked directory).  That implements a means of showing the original TeX code rather than the error messages, but you could modify it to do something else with the message, I would expect.

Davide