Blackboard Bold

Help
2008-12-18
2013-04-29
  • Mads Hansen
    Mads Hansen
    2008-12-18

Hello, how can I get jsMath to use the Blackboard Bold fonts (both image and native) when the command \mathbb{...} is used?
    I have tried loading AMSsymbols and AMSmath but either apread to disable jaMath.

Thanks in advance for your help.

.. mads

• Have you installed the msam10 and msbm10 fonts on the server?  (That is, have you unpacked the zip file into the jsMath/fonts directory?)  Using the AMSsymbols extension is the way to do what you are asking for, so if calling on that causes jsMath to fail to run, that probably means you haven't got the fonts installed properly.  (JsMath will fail when trying to load the msbm10 definition file from jsMath/fonts/msbm10/def.js, so make sure that file is in place.

If you get the msam10.zip and msbm.zip files at

http://www.math.union.edu/locate/jsMath/download/extra-fonts/welcome.html

and install them in your jsMath/fonts directory and I think you should be able to get it to work.

Davide

• Mads Hansen
      Mads Hansen
      2008-12-19

Thanks, that did the job :)

A thing I have noticed is that the baseline for math is sometimes a little bit off, but still enough to be noticed. Is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks for a great script :)

• Glad you got the fonts to work.  As for the baseline, the positioning suffers from roundoff issues due to the fact that measurements are in pixels, while the characters themselves are not.  The effect can be more pronounced depending on the size of the fonts in use (and whether the em-size is close to an integer number of pixels or not), and the browser used.  Javascript does not have a direct means of determining where the baseline is, and I have worked hard to get it as close as I can, but it is not perfect, as you can see.  If you can, try changing the font size and see if that helps.

Davide

• Mads Hansen
      Mads Hansen
      2008-12-20

No problem, its only very slight and I was being a nitpicker for mentioning it :)

I have tried installing the fonts on my vista machine and it looks very nice, but when they are installed on a XP or linux machine I get wierd characters. my blog is at www.eccentric.dk , for example - (minus) now comes out as À and times comes out as Á any ideas?

thanks, Mads

• I am not able to reproduce the problem.  Can you be more specific about the browser and version you are using in each case?  Also, what encoding is the browser set to?  Finally, do the characters show up correctly if you view the jsMath examples on my site?

http://www.math.union.edu/locate/jsMath/examples/

Davide

• Mads Hansen
      Mads Hansen
      2008-12-20

The exampels on your site displays the same problems as mine.. I have posted some screenshots on how it shows up in Firefox3/IE7 on vista (correct) and how it aprears on OpenSUSE 11.0 with firefox3 (incorrect) they are at http://www.eccentric.dk/screenshots/ . what I see on linux is the same as when I view the page on IE6/7 on WindowsXP. I have recieved reports of the same things happening with other people viewing my site.

The browsers I have used have all been set to UTF-8 and it is only when using the native TeX fonts there is a problem.

.. Mads

• OK, thanks for the screen shots.  It looks like the browser is not able to access the jsMath-cmsy10.ttf font.  Can you check that you have properly placed it in the fonts directory?  You might try downloading the fonts again and reinstalling.  Finally, which set did you use?  (Which weight?)  You might try one of the others to see if it works.

Your site works fine for me in IE7/WindowsXP, and the incorrect characters are coming from a non-jsMath font, which may be Helvetica, the font in effect for the main text?  You might try using jsMath-cmsy10 as your default font and see if that works, or use jsMath-cmsy10 in a word processor.

In any case, it looks like a problem with that particular font, so that's the first place I'd look for it.

Davide

• Mads Hansen
      Mads Hansen
      2008-12-21

I used the -25 fonts, the problem went away when I used antoher (the -15). Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I'm impressed that jsMath validates as XHTML transitional, good job!

• OK, I'm glad you got one to work.  I just tried re-downloading and re-installing the 25 weight fonts, and they work for me.  Perhaps you got a bad download.  Did you try downloading them again and reinstalling?  I haven't had any complaints from anyone else about a bad font in the 25 zip file.

Anyway, I'm considering the issue resolved at this point.

Davide