#4 Vertical alignment problems in IE7

v3.4e
closed-fixed
nobody
3
2007-12-03
2007-10-27
Gustav W Delius
No

In IE7, environments like \begin{eqnarray} are shifted down by a couple of lines. A similar problem occurs with matrices typeset with \pmatrix{...}. Here the brackets move up and the content moves down.

Discussion

  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=1161141
    Originator: NO

    What subversion of v3.4 are you using? (I have added subversions to the Group options in the error reporting menus.) I thought I had fixed that problem once before. There were some changes in version 3.4d that were supposed to improve the layout in IE; perhaps I damaged an older correction when I made the new ones. I will probably need to be able to look at a page where it occurs. These problems seem often to be related to the CSS, and so it is easier for me to see the problem in place. Can you send me a URL where I can see the incorrect placement?

    Davide

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=737246
    Originator: YES

    Dear Davide, thanks for looking at this so quickly. You are right, it is a stylesheet issue, the effect does not happen on a page without CSS but it does happen on our departmental websites that use a stylesheet provided by our university's weboffice. I would be happy to ask them to fix it. I have put up an example on our website at http://maths.york.ac.uk/www/jsMathTest

     
    • milestone: 709250 --> v3.4e
    • priority: 5 --> 3
     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=1161141
    Originator: NO

    Thanks for the example site. I have conformed the problem, and it turns out that it is not a CSS problem, it is the DOCTYPE that is causing the trouble. I thought I had worked out the problem with IE in "standards" mode (as opposed to "quirks" mode), but apparently there are still some issues. I'm working on it and will submit an update when I have a working version. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where the differences occur.

    Davide

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=1161141
    Originator: NO

    (I meant "confirmed" not "conformed". Sorry)

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=737246
    Originator: YES

    Dear Davide, the speed and energy with which you address an issue like this is amazing and very much above the norm. It is very much appreciated. Thanks.

     
    • status: open --> closed-fixed
     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=1161141
    Originator: NO

    Thanks for the kinds words. I try to make a reply (at least) within 24 hours. Usually I can give a workaround, but in your case, it took a little longer.

    I have worked out the problem (as with all MSIE issues, it took 3 or 4 hours). I will include the fix in the next release of jsMath. I hope I can get that out in the next few days.

    Davide

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=1161141
    Originator: NO

    OK, I've released version 3.4f which has the patch for the MSIE alignment problem. Let me know if you see anything that is still not aligned properly.

    Davide

     
    • status: closed-fixed --> open-fixed
     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=737246
    Originator: YES

    Thanks for fixing this so quickly. Unfortunately I have difficulties with the upgrade. I am quite sure that I copied the new files into place but if I click on the jsMath box on the webpage it still identifies itself as version 3.4e. Hitting the Reload button on the jsMath control panel does not change this.

     
    • status: open-fixed --> closed-fixed
     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=1161141
    Originator: NO

    I have just checked the download file for the new release and it does include the correct version.

    It may be the fact that MSIE caches the javascript file and will not reload it even when you request the page to be reloaded (and even when you force reloading of images and other content). You may need to clear the cache explicitly by hand and then reload the page. If you had been looking at the page before changing the version of jsMath, that might be the cause. Try that and see if that works for you.

    Davide

    PS, I just looked at the test page you listed below and see that v3.4f is the one you are using, so I think it is probably the caching problem with MSIE.

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=737246
    Originator: YES

    Yes, indeed, when I reloaded the page today it was using the new version. So, thanks again for fixing this. I just taught TeX to a new cohort of students using Moodle and jsMath and it works beautifully.

     
    • status: closed-fixed --> open-fixed
     
    • status: open-fixed --> closed-fixed