Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Compatibility With Non-Java Version

Help
Ian Petts
2008-11-27
2012-09-17
  • Ian Petts
    Ian Petts
    2008-11-27

Are the files created and edited in the standard version of PasswordSafe meant to be compatible with the Java version of PasswordSafe?

I have been successfully using the Windows/U3 version of Password Safe for over a year, but when I copy my password file to my Mac, I am unable to open it (with Java PWS).

I do recall being able to open the file on both machines some time ago, but suspect one of the last few PWS upgrades broke compatibility between the two apps.

Has anyone else encountered this?

• David
      David
      2009-01-21

Your welcome!
      I'm glad to hear it works for you now.

The thanks for the mac binary should go to tristan / corvi42:
      He sorted out the build process and did the work.

Anyway, a proper contributers list in jpwsafe is yet another task on my todo list... ;-)

• David
      David
      2008-12-02

Hi Ipetts,

if it is a V2 Password Safe file, then your problem will be fixed with the upcoming version 0.7 beta 3. Otherwise please give us more information on the version of JpwSafe, Java and Mac OS, and attach the log.

Cheers,
      Roxon

• Ian Petts
      Ian Petts
      2008-12-14

Hi David,

I've been unsuccessful in getting the Mac version of the new beta running, so I grabbed the windows version and tried it.

I am still unable to open the file, the program tells me the password is incorrect, so I've filed a bug report (#2424785) and attached the log.

I did manage to work-around the problem by saving the file as an older version (v2) using the Windows U3 binary, then opening and re-saving as a version 3. The new SWT beta (0.7beta3.103 windows binary) and the previous version (0.7beta2.102 still installed on my Mac) can both open the new file.

Regards,
      Ian.

• David
      David
      2008-12-23

Hi Ian,

with the upcoming 0.7 beta4 release, this problem should be fixed (also see your bug report 2424785 https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2424785&group_id=243370&atid=1122415).

Cheers,
      Roxon

• Ian Petts
      Ian Petts
      2009-01-17

Confirmed as fixed in the 0.7 final release. This version opens my original file just fine.

Thanks very much roxon (and for the Mac binary) !!