Nodes Auto Update

• Pedro Umbelino
    Pedro Umbelino
    2006-05-02

Is it sufficient to install the driver and all nodes get auto-updated?

• Laurent Cohen
      Laurent Cohen
      2006-05-02

Hi Pedro,

Yes, if you install and restart the driver the nodes will auto-update the next time they are used.
      So it's not necessarily immediate, and the complete update of all the nodes might be progressive over time, depending on how intensively you use the framework.
      I trust in your case it'll be fast :-)

-Laurent

• Pedro Umbelino
      Pedro Umbelino
      2006-05-02

Hi Laurent,

Erm... as always I bring bad news, heheh...
      Well, I installed the driver (the nodes were 0.15.1) and restarted it. The nodes reconnected. Started the matrix example. Nodes died in a terminal way :) (meaning, they did not reconnected again and the cluster ended up with 0 nodes)
      Good thing I run a tasks restarting the computers at 0:00.
      Btw, the screensaver thing is nice, I didnt tested it yet since I made an isolated pseudo-distro node installer with java,ant and the node bin whichs installs as a windows service (right now all the nodes are windows, the driver is linux).

Pedro

• Laurent Cohen
      Laurent Cohen
      2006-05-02

OK. Since you're running the nodes as Windows services, I don't suppose you have a log file or a call stack that could give us a clue, is this right?

The only thing I would see right now, would a missing permission in the jppf.policy file.

Can you make a comparison with the one that is in the node-bin package? In particular, can you check that the runtime permission "modifyThread" is granted?

Thanks,
      -Laurent

• Pedro Umbelino
      Pedro Umbelino
      2006-05-02

Indeed it misses that permission.
      The log files are in overwrite mode in the log4j policy too... :(

Would it be hard for the updater also update the jppf.policy? In terms of security I know that would be definitly a flaw, but it could be disabled by default on the nodes an enabled only if you trust the driver. What do you think?

Pedro

• Pedro Umbelino
      Pedro Umbelino
      2006-05-02

Another thing,

Even without the modify thread, they should run fine when the system reboots right?

Pedro

• Laurent Cohen
      Laurent Cohen
      2006-05-02

If you have installed the latest version of the driver, then the modifyThread permission has to be granted.

The reason is that the code for the node, downloaded from the driver, now includes code to handle a pool of threads, requiring permissions that have to be explicitely granted for each node.

So it seems your idea of allowing dynamic updates to the node's security policy would work great. We'd just need to implement some kind of trust mechanism, to determine if the update request is geneuine or not.
      The same applies to both the node configuration and log4j configuration as well.

I entered a feature request to this effect. It should make it soon into a new version of JPPF.

-Laurent

• Pedro Umbelino
      Pedro Umbelino
      2006-05-02

Ok,
      It's just going to be another regular friday upgrading 40 nodes... :) Hopefully not for long...
      It could be already an automated process but, since the feature is present in jppf, why double the work.

I'll check back soon,

Pedro