Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Show Properties Can't Work Over XML/A

Gang Chen
2005-08-17
2013-04-29
  • Gang Chen
    Gang Chen
    2005-08-17

Although add DIMENSION PROPERTIES in MDX query, the table doesn't show any properties.

Test with MS AS:

SELECT {[Measures].[Unit Sales], [Measures].[Store Cost], [Measures].[Store Sales]} ON columns, {([Store].[USA].[CA].[Los Angeles].Children)} DIMENSION PROPERTIES [Store].[Store Type] ON rows FROM Sales WHERE ([Time].[1997])

After diving into XMLA_Result#handleMember,  I notice the behavior is differenct to Mondrian backend. Is this because Mondrian doesn't support DIMENSION PROPERTIES now.

Is it necessary to reimplement the UI of this extension for XML/A backend?

• Julian Hyde
      Julian Hyde
      2005-08-22

Note that the reason Mondrian doesn't support DIMENSION PROPERTIES is because it doesn't need to: when used as a Java API (as opposed to XML/A), all of the properties of every member are available. All you have to do is call member.getPropertyValue().

I am happy to add some support for DIMENSION PROPERTIES to Mondrian if it makes the XML/A implementation more consistent. For example, the axis could have a list of the property names which the query asked for, and the XMLA adapter could send those properties (and only those) back in the response.

I think there is a bug or RFE logged against Mondrian already. If not, please log one. Specify what behavior is required with respect to DIMENSION PROPERTIES.

• Gang Chen
      Gang Chen
      2005-10-08

The problem I pointed out is about JPivot. Although MS AS supports DIMENSION PROPERTIES and returns correct XML/A response, JPivot cannot render properties.

I'll appreciate if Mondrian supports DIMENSION PROPERTIES. Thanks.

And I have logged a REF.