Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Boot Progress Callback Interface

2006-05-17
2013-05-02
  • Hi Dmitri,

I've been using your framework for a while now to build a generic GUI app framework. I'm just now upgrading from 0.5 to 0.10. I was expecting the new splash functionality I read about. I run the demo and I see there's only a static image showing. I expected something eclipse and netbeans have (which can show the process of booting). Since my framework will run large gui, it would be important. So questions:

1) do you plan to enhance to splash support within the framework code

or

2) do you plan to open up some API for application plugin code to manipulate progress visualization on the splash?

thanks
    Janos, Budapest, Hungary

• > 1) do you plan to enhance to splash support within the framework code

Yes, I do. But I can't say you something concrete because I didn't come to any API decision yet. You may share your ideas about this if you have any.

> 2) do you plan to open up some API for application plugin code to manipulate
      > progress visualization on the splash?

What part of API do you think should be opened in such relation? Before this moment I thought that JPF API is open enough for almost any extensions :)

//Dmitry

• Hi Dmitry,

I mean opening the API is to make a public API to provide access to what and how is presented on the splash screen during startup.

There is I think two basic options here.

1) JPF itself manages the splash and say puts the image on it, plus a progress bar which tells the user which plugins are being deployed

2) You define a SplashManager or similar with which some interface could register. Then the user code could orchestrate what and how gets displayed on the splash screen.

This latter one if course more complicated but provides complete control over the splash screen. I would do this way. And the JPF could have a DefaultSplashImpl which would provide a functionality described under 1.

How d'ya like it?

BTW: have a nice holiday!

Cheers,
      Janos
      Budapest, Hungary

• Dirk Kitscha
      Dirk Kitscha
      2006-05-26

In addition to the above mentioned points I would like to have the possibility to
      a) Close the Splashscreen and/or
      b) Define a Spashscreen timeout

Best regards,
      Dirk.

• Richard
      Richard
      2006-06-02

Check the JRubik project on sourceforge. They are using a splash which displays messages which the pluginmanager generate.

http://rubik.sourceforge.net/

Cheers
      Richard

• Richard
      Richard
      2006-06-02

This is a good and solid splash implementation which  i came across.

http://www.randelshofer.ch/oop/javasplash/javasplash.html

Hope this helps
      Richard

• Thank you all for ideas! I'll be back when get some progress in this splash screen story :)

BTW Richard, JPF-Boot library now uses the mentioned splash implementation.

//Dmitry

• Enhanced splash screen API is now implemented. Have a look at the latest code from the project CVS.

//Dmitry

• The API looks good for me :)
      Will there be a "FullFeaturedSplashScreen" in JPF  in some time?
      The problem is that we have to declare the splash handling class in the boot.properties file, but at boot time there is nothing else but the jpf libraries.
      One could get around this by setting the CLASSPATH in the startscript to include the SplashScreen class but that is very uncomfortable for me.
      Or did I get it wrong and there is a simple solution?

But at least I can get the SplashHandler in my application plugin and close the splashscreen if errors occur :)

Thanks for your quick reaction!

• > The API looks good for me :)
        > Will there be a "FullFeaturedSplashScreen" in JPF  in some time?

There are no plans for now to implement such splash screen. Mainly because it will not suite to all and many people will want to have something different.

> The problem is that we have to declare the splash handling class in the
        > boot.properties file, but at boot time there is nothing else but the jpf
        > libraries.
        > One could get around this by setting the CLASSPATH in the startscript to include
        > the SplashScreen class but that is very uncomfortable for me.
        > Or did I get it wrong and there is a simple solution?

To make things simple, you can rebuild jpf-boot.jar and add path to your classes to it's manifest (as it was already done for jpf.jar). In such a case you don't need to modify run script.

//Dmitry

• Janos Jarecsni
      Janos Jarecsni
      2006-06-21

Hi Dmitry,

I'd like to know when the next official release is scheduled.

Best regards,
      Janos

• In one/two weeks.

//Dmitry