defining configuration per <extension>

2007-02-27
2013-05-02
  • Matt Zimmerman
    Matt Zimmerman
    2007-02-27

What I'm trying to do is to be able to get parameters to a plugin per its <extension>.  This works fine there is an equivalent <parameter def> defined for that extension point, but I would like our plugin authors to be able to define their own configurations, which means I can't predict the appropriate <parameter def> items.

I don't necessarily need to define the config inside the <extension> tag, but I am not sure of another good location/method to do so.  Anyone have any suggestions?

• There are many possibilities here :) Why not simply load config from file and provide file location in extension parameter?

//Dmitry

• Matt Zimmerman
      Matt Zimmerman
      2007-02-27

The reason I didn't really want to do that was because if I have 20 plugins that attach to 3 extension points each, I would end up with 60 configuration files in addition to each of the plugin.xml files I would need to edit.  I was hoping someone came up with an ingenious way to do this within the <extension> part of the plugin.xml

• I see. I can suggest you to try using standard extension point parameters. You may add parameter definition with type "any" that allow extensions to provide any parameters and sub-parameters for this definition.

//Dmitry