Menu

file transfers

2006-08-22
2013-04-17
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hey Keith,

I would like to help out with your oscar.jar library, specifically on handling file transfers. I have been using it for a while, and am aware of several issues. Could you maybe provide some pointers on where i could find more information on how the AIM file transfers should work?

Also, do you know any specific issues or unfinished areas in the oscar.jar library?

Thanks

• Nobody/Anonymous

i'm trying to figure out why file transfer works from some locations and not others. Are you aware of any ports that need to be filtered or not?

The interesting thing is that file transfer works at Panera Bakery, but not at my static dsl line at home (which is unfiltered).  So i'm wondering if its the direct connection thats not working, and somehow it's never able to get to proxy? I dunno, do you have any insight?

• Keith Lea

Keith Lea - 2006-08-24

It is strange, could you get ethereal packet logs, and joscar logs, of this happening? I don't have much insight to this without logs.

• Nobody/Anonymous

can somebody provide a detailed explanation of how oscar.jar file transfers communicate? i've read some documentation on the oscar protocol.  Does this library do exactly that?

• Keith Lea

Keith Lea - 2006-08-24

oscar.jar simply follows the oscar protocol. There is no documentation beyond the source code of projects like oscar.jar and gaim.

• Keith Lea

Keith Lea - 2006-08-24

AIM file transfers are not well documented, and I would actually suggest a combination of looking at my code (I know it's intimidating) and packet logs from Ethereal. I don't know of any formal documentation for it.

I'm excited that you're interested in working on oscar.jar. About unfinished areas, ICQ needs a lot of work. We would also like Get File to be implemented in oscar.jar. You should join the joscar-discuss@googlegroups.com mailing list if you get involved, and maybe you could get feeedback there about what you could work on.