commercial engines

Gour
2005-12-02
2013-04-24
  • Gour
    Gour
    2005-12-02

Hi!

I'm loking for some commercial engine to be used with Jose on amd64 Linux for my brother.

I downloaded Shredder classis which has its own GUI interface (btw, looking awful), but it takes ages to come up :-(

The other candidates which are not so expensive are Deep Sjeng & Fruit.

Does anyone has any experience with running some of those commercial engines with Jose on Linux amd64?

Sincerely,
    Gour

• I run Shredder Classic on linux amd64. You can just point to the Engines folder and load the engine under Jose as an UCI engine. I use 32 bit emulation mode on my amd64 though.

• Gour
        Gour
        2005-12-02

Do you have all the Shredder's options available when running under Jose?

Launching Schredder on my amd64 takes forever and I'm more inclined to e.g. Fruit...

Sincerely,
        Gour

• Peter Schäfer
          Peter Schäfer
          2005-12-02

Shredder won't use its opening book.
          Shredder books work only with the Shredder GUI ;-(

For the next release I'm planning to integrate Fruit books into the GUI, so that you can use books with any engine.

• Gour
            Gour
            2005-12-02

> Shredder books work only with the Shredder GUI ;-(

Let 'em stay with their GUI.

Your interface rocks in comparison :-)

>For the next release I'm planning to integrate Fruit books into the GUI, so that you can use books with any engine.

Great!

Do you have any experience with Fruit (commercial) on Linux?

Any ETA for next release?

Sincerely,
            Gour

• Are you running the EngineShredderClassic executable? Try running it on terminal and type in "uci". I should show the options there. All the Shreddder options work for me.

• Gour
      Gour
      2005-12-02

> The other candidates which are not so expensive are Deep Sjeng & Fruit.

Just to inform Jose users that I came in contact with Fruit's support stuff...

> Does anyone has any experience with running some of those commercial engines with Jose on Linux amd64?

I got a link with Fruit-2.2.1 demo which works nicely on my amd64 box. (I am warned that demo-engine plays instantenously, so don't judge its strength based on it :-)

Here is the url:

http://www.fruitchess.com/files/fruit2.2.1/fruit_221_linux.tar.gz

Sincerely,
      Gour