joining the project

2008-07-08
2013-04-24
  • tamil amuthan
    tamil amuthan
    2008-07-08

how can i join in this project? I am very interested in this project.

• Ab6
      Ab6
      2008-07-08

Tamil,

You can read my earlier posts that touch on the future of this project.  The project, unfortunately, appears to be "dead" - the main author, Peter Schäfer  (peterschaefer@users.sourceforge.net) appears to have abandoned it.  He apparently does not respond to emails to this address, though you are welcome to try to contact him.  It is a shame - such a great program, but needs more work, and (I believe) only he has the source code.

Bestwishes,

aboutblank6

• mark27
      mark27
      2008-09-12

The sources are available from the project page. Click the Download link (upper right), on next page jose and then you will see a link named  "jose-144-source.zip"  

• Ab6
        Ab6
        2008-09-13

markertd,

Many thanks!  I did not know the source was available.  There is yet hope!

aboutblank6

• Nicolas Guarin
      Nicolas Guarin
      2008-09-16

Well, I'm Doing a printable version of the manual.

And I can work in some stuff like that, tell me.

See ya

• dopita
      dopita
      2008-10-06

Hi,
      if somebody open this project I can help . I don't know a java language but I'm a graphic and a good chess player. Jose is very useful for me.
      (email: raptor at klikni dot cz)
      Paul

• Hans Linkels
      Hans Linkels
      2008-12-28

There is something I want to add in this program: the ability to specify the search depth of the chess engine.

Most chess engine are good-better-best... but that is not what I am interested in. I want to give my son a sparring partner which will not put him check mate in 5 moves as most engines do. We are not all little Gasparovs. He must me able to win once in a while, that keeps him motivated.

I know how to do this, I don' t have much knowledge of Java, but it is adding more of the same and it is not difficult. I know how change the command which is send to the UCI engine.

Problem is however that the source is available, but a makefile is not. I have been struggling a day long with some general purpose makefile which would traverse the entire directory tree and build all sources it sees, but that was not very succesfull. Both this source tree and my makefile make different assumptions how a source file should be built. (But I started to be really fed up when this make file somehow did a clean starting at / instead of in my development tree, fortunately I was NOT root, but it damaged by KDE config anyway)

Has anyone made any progress in compiling the source? Once I compile the source succesfully I will add the feature and make it available to the project again. Provided there is a project.

jlinkels

• Bajusz Tamás
        Bajusz Tamás
        2009-01-17

I suggest you to take a look at PyChess. You can set the opponent strength from 1-8, and at easiest level it will play like a real beginner human player :) It has no database support yet, but we started it.
        http://pychess.googlepages.com

• Hans Linkels
        Hans Linkels
        2009-01-18

I have been able to compile the source code and make an executable .jar file. On Linux, that is. There is a small addtion I made to set the strength of the engine.

The source can be downloaded from:
        http://pdis.rnw.nl/~hansl/jose-chess/jose-145-source.zip

I prefer to have my changes as a contribution to the project. I aks anyone being able to assist to contact the original author, or to put the updated source on this site to contact me.

jlinkels

• Daniel Kabs
          Daniel Kabs
          2009-02-11

I know the author and will try to convince him to respond to your request.

• Justin McClure
          Justin McClure
          2009-08-11

Did you ever get the C++ source to compile?

• Nicolas Guarin
      Nicolas Guarin
      2009-07-02

Thanks Daniel, We will be pretty happy if you can do it.

I do not know a lot of programming, but as I said I made a printable version of the manual to put my little contrib.

See ya

• Cezar Freitas
    Cezar Freitas
    2010-05-25

Let's put Jose Chess alive!

• packpaul
    packpaul
    2010-06-08

Hi! I'm a professional Delphi developer but I want to gain skills in Java. I'm a passionate chess player and I have developed various chess software (including Chess4Net http://chess4net.ru). I found Jose Skills very interesting for joining but first of all, please provide instruction of how to compile the Beast. Imagine you had only installed a bare JDK without any dependancies needed fo Jose.

• packpaul
    packpaul
    2010-06-16

Everybody who's willing to contribute to Jose Chess can now join to Jose Chess 2 project (https://sourceforge.net/projects/josechess2/). Me and jlinkels have created a branch out of 1.44 version and made all code be compilable. If there's anyone who can help in organization (i.e. forum creation, licenses, bug tracking / change requests transfer etc.) please contact me.

• Cezar Freitas
    Cezar Freitas
    2010-06-16

Congratulations, packpaul.

• data recovery
    data recovery
    2010-08-02

i want to know what basic language you prefer in your project i know C# does it work in the project??

recover data

• packpaul
    packpaul
    2010-08-02

Java2 is used throughout the whole project. Please post all messages concerning JoseChess2 in https://sourceforge.net/projects/josechess2/