time control for white & black

Gour
2005-12-02
2013-04-24
  • Gour
    Gour
    2005-12-02

Hi!

In certain front-ends (e.g. Knights) it is possible to separately setup time-control for both white & black player which is handy in the situation when one wants to experience play against the stronger engine by allowing ourselves more time to think :-)

Is it a feature depending on the engine or a feature one can add to Jose?

(I cannot add crafty in Jose 'cause it's 64-bit, and cannot test e.g. fruit with knights 'cause it looks like knights is not uci-ready :-(

Sincerely,
    Gour

• Peter Schäfer
      Peter Schäfer
      2005-12-02

separate time controls are a useful feature, I will put it on my list.

what exactly are the problems with Crafty 64-bit ?

I understand that there might be issues with Jose in 64-bit mode, but the chess engines are supposed to run idependently.

• Gour
      Gour
      2005-12-02

> separate time controls are a useful feature, I will put it on my list.

Thanks a lot.

> what exactly are the problems with Crafty 64-bit ?

After I select 'crafty' executable, Jose pops up a dialog with: java.io.IOException: /usr/games/bin/crafty: cannot execute

> I understand that there might be issues with Jose in 64-bit mode, but the chess engines are supposed to run idependently.

Well, I'm not with all these things and would like to have 64-bit Jose running on amd64.

Any hint what can I try to test further?

Sincerely,
      Gour

• Michael Arlt
      Michael Arlt
      2006-01-31

there is a converter for uci to winboard from the developer of fruit: polyglot. i tried it for a good friend of mine - a blind man. now he can play with fruit using the console. maybe this would help with knight

• Gour
      Gour
      2006-02-06

>there is a converter for uci to winboard from the developer of fruit: polyglot. i tried it for a good friend of mine - a blind man. now he can play with fruit using the console. maybe this would help with knight

Well, I'd like to continue using Jose, so adding time-control option to Jose has my is preference :-)

Sincerely,
      Gour