Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Conversions -- Limit Page Size & Exc...

jonkoerner
2011-11-07
2013-04-24
  • jonkoerner
    jonkoerner
    2011-11-07

I am trying to do conversions of CBR files to PDF.   Trying to use Jomic for this but having trouble.  Have checked Help Guide, and it is not helpful..  Need help with 3 questions:
    1.   It does not do anything - no PDF files are output.   After entering the two CBR source files names, selecting PDF output,  Specifying the Target output directory,   setting "Limit Page Size to:"   825x1100,  and unchecking Exclude Thumbnails,  I then click the CONVERT button.

Then, up pops a "Conversion Report Window"   -   a   progress bar is shown, and it appears active, like it's doing something, it does not take long,  then there are two rows in the report's table:  one for each of my two source CBR files
    It shows figures for the Source Length,  but 0 for Target Length.   The Error column is empty. 

I check my output directory - but there are no PDF files there.    So,  it appears that Jomic is not converting anything for me.

2.  WHAT is the "Limit Page Size to:"   . setting?     The help guide does not provide adequate description of this.  It comes up with default values of 1200 x 1600 filled in.      Can someone explain this setting, ?

3.  "Exclude Thumbnails"   setting.    WHAT is this about?     There is ZERO info in the Help Guide about it  - appearently this feature was added after help guide was written and help guide has not been updated.

Thanks
    JK

• Concerning 1: Hm, works for me. Can you open the CBR in Jomic for reading? Does the converter produce a PDF if you disable "Exclude page thumbs up to"?

Concerning 2: Currently the user guide says: "Limit page size to: When enabled, you can enter a maximum width and hight in the fields below. If a comic contains an image that is bigger, it will be shrunken to these limits. Note that the size refers to images in portait size. Landscape sized images are automatically recognized an can have twice the specified width before they are shrunken."

Would this make it clearer: "If a comic contains an image that is bigger, the size will be changed so that it fits within the specified limit while keeping the images aspect ratio".

Concerning 3: You're right, the user guide lacks a description. How about this:

"Exclude page thumbs up to: Sometimes folders with images also contain thumbnail images for each large image. Especially when the folder contains a downloaded web site (obtained for example using a tool like wget). Adding such thumbnails to a comic archive is pointless and confusing. Enable this option to prevent this from happening. In order for Jomic to figure out whether an image is a thumbnail or not, you have to specify a threshold width and height. For example, if the threshold is 160x200, images of size 150x150, 150x300 or 300x150 are considered a thumbnail. Similar to the option "limit page size to", the threshold applies to portrait images. Landscape images use twice the width. So for a threshold of 160x200, an image of size 300x220 is still considered a thumbnail because its equivalent portrait width would be 300 / 2 = 150, which is less than 160."

• Anonymous
    2012-10-14

1.   It does not do anything - no PDF files are output.   After entering the two CBR source files names, selecting PDF output,  Specifying the Target output directory,   setting "Limit Page Size to:"   825x1100,  and unchecking Exclude Thumbnails,  I then click the CONVERT button.

This is exactly what's happening to me.

Concerning 1: Hm, works for me. Can you open the CBR in Jomic for reading? Does the converter produce a PDF if you disable "Exclude page thumbs up to"?

Yes, I can. No, it doesn't.