Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

I have Unrar, how do I open .cbr?

2006-10-20
2013-04-24
  • I have unrar, I have winrar, I can open .cbr archives fine, but Jomic keeps telling me it can't.
    Do I have to place the unrar executable anyplace special?

I am running winXP, any help would be much appreciated.

• You need unrar.exe to be within any of the directories the PATH environment variable lists.

You can either copy unrar.exe to one of these, or extend the list of PATH directories as described at for instance <http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm>.

• I have the same problem, and I have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

• It's not about the Windows unrar with a GUI, its about the DOS command line unrar that can run in the background. It's two different applications from the same people, and the latter needs some fiddling with the system configuration. When extracting a CBR, Jomic will open an invisible DOS window in the background and run unrar in it. In order for this to work, it needs to find unrar. And as the linked page states: "Modifying the path statement will enable an MS-DOS window opened in Microsoft Windows as well as older programs to locate files that may be required to run the program."

Anyway, why bother running Jomic under Windows? There should be decent Windows-only comic readers that work without additional steps needed.

Jomic works out of the box on most Unix platforms because they already have a command line unrar installed. Under Mac OS X, it's part of the application package. But under Windows it is a royal PITA to get working.

• As of version 0.9.32, Jomic includes junrar, a platform independent pure Java implementation of unrar. You do not need any external unrar command anymore.