Yuri
2012-10-27
2013-05-28
  • Yuri
    Yuri
    2012-10-27

Hi, all!
    I read in the documentation of jointSPACE the following

executing application on a remote system, controlling the TV APIs remotely.

Is it possible to write a program for the PC that will receive IR signals from the TV remote control, and it will run on a PC player, rewind control, audio, etc? The main question - how to write a service (daemon) for the PC that will receive signals from the TV remote control to execute certain commands. Explain me with examples (if it's possible), please. Thanks.

• Matthias Ihmig
    Matthias Ihmig
    2012-10-28

When you want to receive IR signals from the TV remote directly on your PC, you need an external IR eye.

But this has nothing todo with RemoteJointspace, and as you post here, I assume what you want to do is the following:
    Let the TV receive the IR signals from the TV remote control and pass the keys through ethernet to a PC program.

Unfortunately, there is no clean solution with Jointspace when you just want to receive the IR codes.
    The only way to do this is to start a remote Jointspace application on the PC, which connects to the TV, and allows drawing (overlays) to the TV and receives remote control buttons.

You will only receive the remote keys on the PC as long as the remote jointspace application is active. However, as long the remote jointspace application is active, you can no longer control the TV (e.g. switch channels, etc.)

But there is a pretty nice commandline tool around: JSTx ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/jstx/ )
    It basically does what you need: creates a remote Jointspace application, receives remote control keys and (in certain cases) passes the remote keys to control the TV. However, this is done by bringing the TV app into foreground, send the keys and bring the remote Jointspace app back into foreground.

This is errorprone and will break from time to time, but afaik (please correct if I'm wrong), only the foreground app receives the remote keys. And to pass the keys to the PC, the remote Jointspace app needs to be in the foreground.

For 2010 TVs, use JSTx 0.23.
    For 2011 TVs, use either JSTx 0.24 (didn't test this myself), or patch v0.23 with this patch.

Have fun,
    Matthias

• Yuri
    Yuri
    2012-10-28

Thank you very much for your reply.
    My TV Philips 42PFL6097 (2012 year) is connected to the network and to the PC via HDMI. Now for the movie from PC (for example, with DTS sound to AV receiver) I run the player on PC and use the control with MCE IR receiver and EventGhost in Windows and Lirc in Ubuntu. I saw jointSPACE immediately installed, no need to enter the numbers on the keypad. By http://TV-ip:1925 I see "Welcome to JointSpace". I thought it was possible to do without the IR receiver MCE, transmitting commands from IR remote control as UDP/TCP/Json or otherwise, if it somehow implemented.
    Thanks for the link on JSTx. There is an option proxy, may be possible to use it.

• Matthias Ihmig
    Matthias Ihmig
    2012-10-28

Yes, the proxy option is what I was referring to in my post.
    Unfortunately, remoteJointspace clashes with Hbbtv (and other popup messages shown by the TV), so to make it work more reliably, you should disable hbbtv.
    In your case, the proxy option is probably not necessary - the regular "multi-key dialog" option should work.

Another idea, but I haven't tried this: you could look into those HDMI-CEC USB interfaces. If you're lucky, Philips transmits the control commands through HDMI-CEC once it is selected as input.

• Yuri
    Yuri
    2012-10-29

Thank you again. I don't need hbbtv, it's disable. Probably, HDMI-CEC does not help, I think the PC does not respond to it. I will try proxy, maybe something will work. All this is not easy.

• Yuri
    Yuri
    2012-11-03

I compiled JSTx under Ubuntu 10.04, added control umplayer from command line, works well and quick.
    I think that it's possible to make UDP server on OpenWrt for control many players in Windows and Linux. If somebody will want to make this. :)