JOE-4.0 is the latest release and includes many new features.
JOE-3.8 is the latest stable release- not quite as many new features.
Please see the Release Notes.
Joe is world-famous Wordstar like text editor.
JOE 3.7 - Fix critical file rename bugs (^K D) from previous release.
Update to most recent automake and autoconf tools and make use of docdir location option.
Release to Cygwin.
Reorganized option setting command (^T) to be a user definable menu of macros and sub-menus. The idea was to reduce the number of options shown when you hit ^T by sticking less frequently used options in sub-menus. A side benefit is that you can now stick your own macros in the ^T menu system.... read more
Two years of user reported bugs fixed! Two years of user supplied patches applied! Please look at the NEWS file for issues fixed. Please look at the TODO file for issues still to be resolved.
- Many bugs have been fixed, including a number of critical ones:
- Left arrow in menus sometimes caused a core dump.
- ESC c (compile) caused core dump or missed saving some files.
- Multi-file search & replace core dumps with 'e' option.
- ^XC in jmacs sometimes missed asking to save some files.
- This version has been test compiled to be warning free on many systems,
including:... read more
I've uploaded some really old, pre-CVS versions of JOE, including 'e' (written in 1988), 'j', 'joe0.1.5', 'joe1.0.8', 'joe2.2' and 'joe2.8' into a new package called "Historic."
New for JOE 3.4:
- Paragraph reformatter and word wrap now handle '*' and '-' bullet lists.
- Better internationalization (i18n):
JOE now uses gettext(), so that internal messages can be translated to the local language. The /etc/joe directory now has a lang subdirectory for the .po files.
Internationalized joerc files are now possible. If LANG is en_GB, JOE tries successively to load joerc.en_GB, joerc.en and joerc.... read more
New features for JOE 3.3:
- The default background color can now be set.
- JOE now supports 256 color xterm.
- The mouse can now resize windows and select menu entries.
- During selection with the mouse, the window will autoscroll when you go past the edge.
- An xterm-patch is included which makes "-mouse" mode work better. (With the patch, also set "-joexterm").
- Syntax files are provided: ADA, AWK, COBOL, SED, Postscript, and SQL... read more
JOE-3.2 has been released! Look at the release notes for a list of the many new features.
New release: includes many bug fixes and feature enhancements:
- Better UTF-8: fixed 32-bit bugs, plus ^T E allows you to select current file encoding.
- More syntax files (Mason, Diff)
- No longer depends on iconv() or snprintf() (easier to compile).
- Options for case insentive search and wrapping search.
- Shows name of function cursor is in on status line.
- Checks if file changed under you during save... read more
Major new release: JOE now has UTF-8 support and Syntax Highlighting.
New version released. Go and download. Changes are in NEWS, details in ChageLog files in the package.
Thanks to Mike Pechkin, the actual version of JOE is available in ports.
New pre-release released. Go and download. Changes are in NEWS (details in ChageLog) file in the package.
I imported versions 2.9.7-pre2 and 2.9.7-pre3 into CVS and from now we'll be using CVS more extensively (I hope). This solves one BUG #472829 from the BUGs tracker ;-)).
If you'll be compiling CVS version of joe, please read the ChangeLog, building works only with some versions of automake/autoconf.
new pre-release of joe is online. It fixes the wordwrap bug and also build problem on irix-6.5.
There is source rpm for JOE. There are small but major differencies. Symlinks in Makefile are modified and this version do NOT delete last character on the line when wrapping line. :)
OK, so in JOE 2.9.7pre2 are still bugs concerning wordwrap and delete of last character in the line when reformatting. If anyone is able to write any type of patch for wordwrapping (there is no need to be clean, documented, ..) please mail it to me. I'm without computer and will be until I found room to live, so right now my problems are somewhere else. This version was only released by me, but was developed by vsamel. On the other side is true that I should test it more :( ... read more
New JOE is online. There will be only small changes
before 2.9.7. There are minor problems with Makefile on irix-6.5 :(
There is a major bug in 2.9.6, wordwrap delete last character on line. Patch is available in section 'Patches'. I'm not innocennt because I applied several patches and I forgot to test it (I was using 2.9.6preX)
I would like to excuse all packagers who said that they are able to make packages (RH, Slack) but i delete my mailbox folder with joe :( and I lost contact. Please contact me again
New package for Windows is available. Second release contain additional help in Win-format
There is a bug in pre2. If you don't have .joerc in your $HOME directory then it is impossible to start joe. Solving this problem is quite easy. You can copy joerc to $HOME/.joerc or apply patch which is in Forum (Help?). If you have any others problem with joe plz send them to me. Because this is last 2.9.6pre version
FTP at sourceforge is down so I can't upload new version :(
JOE 2.9.6 will be almost feature (but I have some feature patches) because I want to release version which will be accepted by all main distros. Feature patches will be included in 2.9.7
New pre-release version of JOE is ready. A lot of patches were included.