Tab is broken when autoindent is enabled

Help
2007-04-20
2013-05-02
  • Derek Snider
    Derek Snider
    2007-04-20

The description of the autoindent feature implies that this feature should only affect what happens when you press the Enter key, and this is how autoindent worked for a very, very long time (over ten years).

In recent years (I forget which version), autoindent started to also affect how the Tab key works.

I believe it should be considered a bug that when you hit the Tab key (with autoindent enabled) that you do not consistently get a tab character, but instead get either a number of spaces equal to the tab width, or a tab character if, and only if the line immediately above it begins with a tab character.

Is there some way to turn this annoying "feature" off other than disabling autoindent?

Autoindent itself is quite useful, but an unpredictable Tab key is infuriating.

• Derek Snider
      Derek Snider
      2007-04-20

Oh... let me clarify... in older versions of joe, when autoindent was auto, tab would still match the tab width of the above line... it just would use actual tab characters to do it instead of spaces... and if the previous line was not indented, it would do a single tab -- using a tab character, not spaces.