No class instrumentation from remote start

Help
2009-02-06
2013-04-17
  • Randy Shaffer
    Randy Shaffer
    2009-02-06

I have installed JIP in a Jetty web server running on Linux.  I am using the webapp.profile.properties to configure the profiler and I see the correct values on the console when I start up Jetty.

I use the start.sh script on the same server with 'localhost' and the standard port and I see a corresponding 'start' output to the web log.  I then execute finish.sh and when I look at the profile.txt, it has all the column headers, but nothing else.

I changed the webapp.profile.properties profiler entry to 'profiler=on' and restarted Jetty.  This time I get plenty of profiler output. 

I ran with 'debug=on' and 'profiler=off' the log only shows the packages which get excluded from instrumentation.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Randy

• Randy Shaffer
      Randy Shaffer
      2009-02-09

I think this may be a class loader problem similar to this:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2166690&forum_id=497146

• Andrew Wilcox
      Andrew Wilcox
      2009-02-09

Hi Randy,

The stock webapp.profile.properties is setup for Tomcat. For Jetty, you need to change this:

ClassLoaderFilter.1=com.mentorgen.tools.profile.instrument.clfilter.WebAppClassLoaderFilter

to

ClassLoaderFilter.1=com.mentorgen.tools.profile.instrument.clfilter.JettyClassLoaderFilter

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Randy Shaffer
      Randy Shaffer
      2009-02-10

There isn't a JettyClassLoaderFilter.class in the version I downloaded (1.1.1), so I wrote one according to the referenced link.

Everything works fine now.

Thanks,
      Randy