Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Finally got profiler running, with output, but some calls are missing

Help
2013-06-03
2013-06-04
  • Jim Showalter
    Jim Showalter
    2013-06-03

Our application runs in Tomcat, and makes numerous calls to external services. We want to profile those external calls. But when I run JIP with no excludes (other than the one required for org.apache.xalan.xsltc), and no includes restriction, (no include= entry), it doesn't profile the service calls. We make those calls by opening an HttpClient connection and marshalling objects over the wire, so at least I'd expect to see the HTTP setup and connection, but there's nothing there. Any suggestions?

• Andrew Wilcox
      Andrew Wilcox
      2013-06-03

Hi Jim,

If you're using Apache's HTTPClient, then it's probably getting loaded by a different classloader. Look at the FAQ section of /doc/readme.html  (specifically "How can I control which classes and packages JIP profiles?") for more information.

Thanks,

Andrew.

To: [jiprof:discussion] 497146@discussion.jiprof.p.re.sf.net
      Sent: Sunday, June 2, 2013 10:02 PM
      Subject: [jiprof:discussion] Finally got profiler running, with output, but some calls are missing

Our application runs in Tomcat, and makes numerous calls to external services. We want to profile those external calls. But when I run JIP with no excludes (other than the one required for org.apache.xalan.xsltc), and no includes restriction, (no include= entry), it doesn't profile the service calls. We make those calls by opening an HttpClient connection and marshalling objects over the wire, so at least I'd expect to see the HTTP setup and connection, but there's nothing there. Any suggestions?

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/jiprof/discussion/497146/
      To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Jim Showalter
    Jim Showalter
    2013-06-03

Suppose I want to profile everything? I tried:

ClassLoaderFilter.1=net.sourceforge.jiprof.instrument.clfilter.GenericClassLoaderFilter
    accept-class-loaders=org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader,org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader

per your readme, but Tomcat said:

profiler: off
    remote: on
    port: 15599
    thread-depth: -1
    thread.compact.threshold.ms: 1
    max-method-count: -1
    method.compact.threshold.ms: 1
    file: C:/dev/trunk/rt/jip-src-1.2/profile/out
    track.object.alloc: on
    output: text
    debug: off
    profiler-class: com.mentorgen.tools.profile.runtime.Profile
    output-method-signatures: no
    clock-resolution: ms
    output-summary-only: no
    exclude:org.apache.xalan.xsltc
    include:com,edu,java,javax
    Accept ClassLoader: org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader
    UNKNOWN CLASSLOADER: org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
    Using the system classloader instead
    ClassLoaderFilter.1: net.sourceforge.jiprof.instrument.clfilter.GenericClassLoad
    erFilter
    Java Interactive Profiler: starting

• Andrew Wilcox
      Andrew Wilcox
      2013-06-04

You can only profile classes that are loaded by the application class loader. See /doc/classloader.html

Andrew.

To: [jiprof:discussion] 497146@discussion.jiprof.p.re.sf.net
      Sent: Monday, June 3, 2013 5:24 PM
      Subject: [jiprof:discussion] Finally got profiler running, with output, but some calls are missing

Suppose I want to profile everything? I tried:
      ClassLoaderFilter.1=net.sourceforge.jiprof.instrument.clfilter.GenericClassLoaderFilter
      accept-class-loaders=org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader,org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
      per your readme, but Tomcat said:
      profiler: off
      remote: on
      port: 15599
      thread-depth: -1
      thread.compact.threshold.ms: 1
      max-method-count: -1
      method.compact.threshold.ms: 1
      file: C:/dev/trunk/rt/jip-src-1.2/profile/out
      track.object.alloc: on
      output: text
      debug: off
      profiler-class: com.mentorgen.tools.profile.runtime.Profile
      output-method-signatures: no
      clock-resolution: ms
      output-summary-only: no
      exclude:org.apache.xalan.xsltc
      include:com,edu,java,javax
      Accept ClassLoader: org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader
      UNKNOWN CLASSLOADER: org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
      Using the system classloader instead
      ClassLoaderFilter.1: net.sourceforge.jiprof.instrument.clfilter.GenericClassLoad
      erFilter
      Java Interactive Profiler: starting

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/jiprof/discussion/497146/
      To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/