find location and delete redundant script

Help
tobias
2012-03-06
2013-06-03
  • tobias
    tobias
    2012-03-06

.jin folder in document and settings was deleted, Jin was uninstalled. Still when i re-installed it, the box where all the scripts where was empty, but all previous scripts where still active. I dont want to reinstall Java just to fix the problem, rather looking for help of what file that is causing the script so i can delete it. Making a new script do not overwrite it either, the old one is still operating and that is how it became a problem.

• mattuc
    mattuc
    2013-06-03

Hi. This can be fixed by deleting the file which contains the scripts, but when you do that, you will lose all existing scripts on the account which has this problem. So first, save a copy of all your scripts. Then you can reenter the scripts you still want later on.

To fix this problem, make sure that Jin is not currently running on your computer. There should not be any Jin windows open or minimized. Now, go to your ".jin" folder. It will have a subfolder "accounts". The "accounts" folder will have subfolders for the chess servers you have accounts on. I will use FICS as an example. Look for the "fics" subfolder. (If your account is on ICS, then at this point, you will want to look for the "ics" subfolder.) Open the "fics" subfolder. You should see subfolders for each account that you have had Jin "remember." Open the subfolder for the account which has the problem you have described.

In the subfolder for the account which has this problem, look for the file with the name "files". That is the file that has the scripts saved for this account. It is not a text file, so you cannot edit it. In this subfolder, delete this file.

Now, start up your Jin application. Connect to your internet chess server, on the account that was experiencing this problem. Then disconnect from the server, and close the Jin application in the normal way. (The easiest way to close Jin normally is: "Connection - Exit - Ok.") Once you have closed the Jin application, Jin will have created a new file with the name "files", for this account. Now this account will not have any scripts loaded, and you can reload any scripts that you want to use.