Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

#64 Surges/Memory not released...

pending-works-for-me
nobody
None
5
2012-08-03
2003-02-03
Derek Groothuis
No

Howdy,

I am seeing some very odd behavior that I can't track
down, and I'm curious if anyone else has seen it.
Basically the symptom is this: occasionally jEdit will
start to lock up every 5-10 seconds or so for about a
second, during which time the memory usage will surge.
Then that memory drops down again (something getting
garbage collected, presumably), and the cycle repeats.
The problem is that over time, the memory usage slowly
creeps up and eventually hits my maximum (256 at the
moment), at which point jEdit locks up completely, and
I have to kill it (although usually I kill it earlier
to try to stop the surging). When I first start up,
it'll be fine for a while, but eventually it starts again.

Unfortunately there is nothing that seems related in
the activity log, other than the:

[debug] Autosave: Java heap: 80947Kb / 86896Kb, 93%

messages which you can slowly watch creep up.

Initially I thought it was jIndex, but I disabled that,
as well as several other plugins, and the symptom still
remains. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I'll keep trying to narrow down a cause...

--Derek

Discussion

  • Slava Pestov
    Slava Pestov
    2003-02-05

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=2280

    What plugins are installed?

     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=566189

    Well, yesterday in an attempt to fight it, I removed a whole
    bunch of plugins to see if it would help. Initially I
    thought it had, as the surges seemed a bit less frequent,
    but they've begun showing up again as the day has worn on,
    and my memory usage is creeping upward. (The last autosave
    message was: [debug] Autosave: Java heap: 108394Kb /
    115188Kb, 94%)

    The plugin list I have is below (yes, I am a plugin junkie).
    As noted, all of the plugins are the latest available
    version (as of 2/4), including the uninstalled plugins.

    Maybe it's just me - if I can come up with any additional
    useful information I'll post it...

    Currently Installed Jars/Plugins (all are the latest
    available version):
    AntHelper.jar
    BufferList.jar
    CharacterMap.jar
    Clipper.jar
    Code2HTML.jar
    CommonControls.jar
    Console.jar
    DotComplete.jar
    DragAndDrop.jar
    DynaMarker.jar
    EBrowse.jar
    ErrorList.jar
    FTP.jar
    FastOpen.jar
    InfoViewer.jar
    JCompiler.jar
    JDiffPlugin.jar
    JSwatPlugin.jar
    JTidyPlugin.jar
    JTools.jar
    JavaRefactor.jar
    JavaStyle.jar
    LineGuides.jar
    LookAndFeel.jar
    MacroManager.jar
    PMDPlugin.jar
    ProjectViewer.jar
    RETest.jar
    SendBuffer.jar
    Sessions.jar
    SpeedJava.jar
    Tags.jar
    TaskList.jar
    TextTools.jar
    VirtualProjectTree.jar
    WhiteSpace.jar
    XML.jar
    XSLT.jar
    jrefactory.jar
    jswat-parser.jar
    jswat2.jar
    kappalayout.jar
    kunststoff.jar
    log4j-1.2.6.jar
    metouia.jar
    oalnf.jar
    pmd-0.8.jar
    pmd-0.9.jar
    pmd-1.01.jar
    pmd-1.02.jar
    recoder.jar
    skinlf.jar
    sshtools-j2ssh-0.0.5-alpha.jar
    xalan.jar
    xerces.jar
    xercesImpl.jar
    xml-apis.jar
    xmlParserAPIs.jar

    Removed as of 2/4/03:
    AntFarm.jar
    AntVizPlugin.jar
    Archive.jar
    AxisHelper.jar
    BufferSelector.jar
    ClassWizard.jar
    CodeBrowser.jar
    ConfigurableFoldHandler.jar
    EditorScheme.jar
    HeadlinePlugin.jar
    JBrowse.jar
    JImporter.jar
    JUnitPlugin.jar
    JavaInsight.jar
    MementoPlugin.jar
    SQL.jar
    Templates.jar
    Vimulator.jar
    ant-optional.jar
    ant.jar
    bcel.jar
    commons-collections.jar
    dom4j.jar
    jgraph.jar
    jode.jar
    junit.jar
    velocity-core-1.3-rc1.jar

     
  • Slava Pestov
    Slava Pestov
    2003-02-06

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=2280

    Try running jEdit without any plugins.

     
    • labels: 102668 --> 102671
    • milestone: 101608 --> 101609
     
  • Logged In: YES
    user_id=566189

    OK, after some messing around with different combinations of
    plugins, I have determined that a) it is indeed plugin
    related and b) seems to be related to some combination of
    DotComplete, FastOpen, and the new ProjectViewer. I'm still
    trying to determine if any one of them is specifically
    causing the problem or not.

    I'm moving this to plugins and moving it down to a minor bug
    - I'll try to sort out the exact plugin and let the
    developer know...

     
  • Slava Pestov
    Slava Pestov
    2003-05-29

    • labels: 102671 -->
    • milestone: 101609 -->
     
  • Alan Ezust
    Alan Ezust
    2012-08-03

    • status: open --> pending-works-for-me
     
  • Alan Ezust
    Alan Ezust
    2012-08-03

    Need more info from submitter before we can reproduce the issue. However, it also looks like you could increase your java max heap size to avoid this lockup... it appears you are close to your max heap size.