Mailing lists

2005-08-24
2013-06-03
  • Alex Boisvert
    Alex Boisvert
    2005-08-24

Would anybody have objection to closing the forums and making the mailing lists the primary mode of exchange for JDBM?

I find the forums to be a little cumbersome compared to email.

alex

• Kevin Day
      Kevin Day
      2005-08-24

Alex-

I know that I was able to get up to speed *much* faster because the history in the forums was there to read, search, etc...  If I hadn't been able to read through that history, I would have never even thought about key compression, for example.

It also allows those of us who work in 3 or 4 different places to always be able to check the lists, etc...

I suppose if the mailing lists had a nice archive feature, then I'd be OK with it - but these conversations really should be captured to help the next batch of folks who decide to get involved...

- K

• Alex Boisvert
        Alex Boisvert
        2005-08-24

Have you taken a look at the existing mail archives for the jdbm-general list?

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=4155

alex

• Bryan Thompson
          Bryan Thompson
          2005-08-24

I was thinking that we should move the developer discussion off of the open list, whether it goes to email or the "Developers Forum" is another thing.

-bryan

• Alex Boisvert
            Alex Boisvert
            2005-08-24

I've just created two additional mailing lists:

jdbm-developer
            jdbm-cvs

According to SourceForge, it will take 6-24 Hours for the lists to be created.

The "jdbm-cvs" list will take a little more time before it gets fully functional.   I need to add a few hooks in the CVSROOT area.

alex

• Kevin Day
          Kevin Day
          2005-08-24

OK - that works for me.  I like the forums because it allows me to easily work from multiple locations, but I can live with not having that type of access in exchange for being able to use my email rules, etc... to manage inbound posts.

Go for it.

- K