any future plans?

General
Anthony
2012-02-08
2013-04-25
  • Anthony
    Anthony
    2012-02-08

I am curious if this project is still alive (last post was in 2009 and last feature request response was in 2008 and the last news was in April 2007)?  Does anyone have any replacement recomendations?   I've seen a few people talking about jquery now to make ajax calls but I am not sure if we can spend the time to rewrite/replace our ajaxwebparts with jquery/ajax calls

• Hi,

At this point if I'm being honest I'd have to say JWP is probably dead.  I haven't heard from any of the other developers in a couple of years now, and I've been off doing other things myself and haven't given much thought to working on it.  I guess you never want to say never, but it's unlikely you'll see any future work on JWP.

I mean, we'll still be around to answer questions and try to help people out, at least I know I will, but beyond that, it's probably dead.  I wouldn't rule out some bug fixes if needed, but I doubt any new features will be introduced.

The good news though, especially with regard to AjaxParts Taglib goes, is that it was written in a fairly straightforward way that didn't rely at all on anything specific to any one browser.  So, it's unlikely to stop working at any point.  So I wouldn't feel like you absolutely HAVE to switch to something else, at least not your existing code.  It'll likely continue to function as it does today, in all relevant browsers, for as long as the application you're using it in is alive.  I can't guarantee that of course, but there's really not much there that could break.  It's about as safe as any bet on code you didn't write yourself can get I think.

As far as new development goes, it's probably not the best choice frankly, unless you're willing to maintain it yourself… frankly, I think we always did a pretty good job documenting and keeping things clean so that's probably not as crazy as it might be with some other OSS projects out there.  But still, it's probably not the most attractive option for most people.

Yes, I would suggest going with something else for your future development.  jQuery if you like, although I've never been a big fan of it myself.  I personally feel that ExtJS is the best option out there today for all things JavaScript and Ajax-related (Ext Core if you want just the basics, including, I believe, Ajax).  It requires you to do a bit more JavaScrip than APT does, but that's not such a bad thing in my mind.  It's a much more full-featured toolkit and if you use it you'll find that your applications are far more robust without a lot less overall work on your part.  I've been using it for years across a number of extremely complex projects at work, some that are actually hard to wrap your brain around in terms of complexity, and it's been nothing but a stunning success.  If you have the benefit of working in a Java shop, which it seems like you do being as that's what JWP was built for, I'd also suggest using DWR… ExtJS + DWR is, for my money, the best technology stack you can build a modern webapp with.  You'll find that things are tremendously simpler and you can work quicker and the results are stunning for the end user.  APT couldn't stand up to that combination even if we continued to develop it, it's what I'd strongly recommend looking at.

Hope that helps, take care!
    Frank