Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

JavaScript Lint from svn (Linux)

inghamc
2009-10-02
2013-05-28
  • inghamc
    inghamc
    2009-10-02

I've switched from Windows to Kubuntu since my last heavy JavaScript development, and of course wanted to use JavaScript Lint!  When given the choice between the tar.gz'd source or svn-direct, I thought "What the heck - this way I'll pick up anything new if/when that happens…"  What a pleasant surprise to find new goodies in there!

I did have issues, however:

- **Command line wrapper?**

Though I'm no *nix ninja, I knew enough to follow INSTALL, which gave me a working jsl.py.  I naively tried copying this to my ~/bin directory and quickly found that a no-go.  I then tried various invocations of setup.py install with -prefix, -home, -user, etc.  I tried **-dry-run** with these and found it to be pretty wet (**defect: lib directories got created anyway**).

I'm only a  programmer: Your modern lib/python/2.6/site-packages and .egg-info files frighten and confuse me…  But I **do** know the Windows executable hid all that from me and gave me a nice, reassuring "0 errors" ouput when I behaved myself, and surely a project implemented in nice, portable Python and C couldn't have only a Win32 API dependent command line executable?

For now I ended up writing a jsl bash script to invoke my svn workspace's jsl.py with my edited .conf file, but would love the same wrapper I got spoiled with on Windows…

- **New (secret) Warnings**

Actually I'll make a separate post for this…

: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer

• Yes, I've just been working out the trunk, so I got lazy with proper packaging/installation.

However, try it now. Update from Subversion and reinstall. (You don't need to run the makefile anymore. Just use setup.py.)