Sidekick LX and this Java emulators

Help
none
2009-04-03
2013-05-01
  • none
    none
    2009-04-03

Can it run ? I hope so.. If not, then why not make one ? Thanks.

• Jörg Jahnke
      Jörg Jahnke
      2009-04-03

From the data at http://www.areamobile.de/datenblatt/Danger_Sidekick-LX/1332_2.html the Sidekick LX can basically run J2ME programs. So it should run but needs to be verified.

• none
      none
      2009-04-03

Really ?? Then can yout ell me how to run it on my sidekick lx ? I would be glad to test it for you. I have roms for this emulator. :)

• Jörg Jahnke
        Jörg Jahnke
        2009-04-03

On many devices it should be enough to copy the jar file to the device and the on the device opening the jar file. That will usually install the application. Some manufacturers have separate programs that can be run on a PC to install applications on the device (e.g. the Nokia Application Installer). And on some devices it is necessary to copy the jar and the jad file and the open the jad file. How program installation works on the Sidekick I cannot tell you. It's your device and you should know best.

• none
      none
      2009-04-03

One more thing.. Which:

in .jar

or

in .jad

I should try ?

Thanks again.

• none
      none
      2009-04-03

I understand now:

A top-level directory "programs" has to be added and all Gameboy ROMs have to be added to this directory. Additionally a file "programs.txt" has to reside inside this directory and all ROMs filenames have to be listed in that file, each game in a new line. This modified jar file then has to be installed on the mobile device.

The problem is... Sidekick LX cannot installed .jar on the mobile device.
      I try this:

Put the jad/jar files on the SD card. I cannot find it anywhere.

Look below:

Application developers can bypass this functionality by using the included programs in the Danger Hiptop SDK to install user-written applications to the Hiptop device directly. To do this, you must apply for a special software key known as a Danger Developer Key. The Danger Development Key is a special security certificate that is provided by Danger that enables the device to be used as a Development Device. This will allow the installation of user-written applications to the device, but will void any software warranty provided by Danger and/or your wireless carrier. Any applicable hardware warranties should still apply.

While the Hiptop OS uses .jar files for applications, they are uploaded to the device in special files called "bundles". Bundle files have the extension '.bndl'. Each bundle file is encrypted to a specific operating system version and build number. For example, a bundle file for v3.4/155053 (T-Mobile Sidekick 3) would be denied installation on a v3.3/149695 device (T-Mobile Sidekick iD). Installation of bundles require a developer key to be installed on your device if you are using a Production OS. Internal OS builds do not require developer keys.

• none
      none
      2009-04-03

Since you are familiar with java/j2me

http://developer.t-mobile.com/site/global/home/p_home.jsp

• Jörg Jahnke
        Jörg Jahnke
        2009-04-03

Thanks for the pointer, but signing an application for all the various J2ME devices is just too costly. For a free application this makes no sense. So if you cannot get an unsigned jar file onto the Sidekick then I cannot help you.

Btw. you can first try the version with the "withgames" suffix because this one does not require additional changes. If that version works then you can continue with putting your own ROMs onto the device.

• none
      none
      2009-04-03

Yeah, I understand.

I am not sure I understand what are you referring with the "withgames" suffix ??? I am not sure what you mean.

• Jörg Jahnke
        Jörg Jahnke
        2009-04-04

See the downloads of JMEBoy. There is a version JMEBoy-1.3.jar and one names JMEBoy-1.3-withgames.jar. I referred to the latter one.

• none
      none
      2009-04-04

Oh, yeah. I am not newbie but I am not good with 2nd english, sorry about that. :)

I understand now and I tried and it didn't installed or anything so I think that Sidekick lx is disabled with java.