Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

JAMon persistance

2011-09-05
2013-05-20
  • Steve Souza
    Steve Souza
    2011-09-05

Hi Steve,

How are you? First thanks a lot for this great monitor tool you have developed. I have one question for you. Is there any way I can persist the Monitor data of Jamon. Currently as soon as I restart my Tomcat it erases all historical monitoring data? If you can direct me to correct place I can try to help you in achieving the same?

• Steve Souza
    Steve Souza
    2011-09-05

<<First thanks a lot for this great monitor tool you have developed.>>
    Thanks for your kind words.

<<Is there any way I can persist the Monitor data of Jamon. Currently as soon as I restart my Tomcat it erases all historical monitoring data? If you can direct me to correct place I can try to help you in achieving the same?>>

Currently jamon doesn't do this although I know people have done this on their own.  I believe the open source product jarep does persistence.   You can also get data back from jamon as xml and save that do a database.   If you are interested in only saving the latest report you can on a timer save the jamon data.  The script jgetdata.sh (see the OS Monitoring video) returns the jamon data as xml.  You can also get the data as html and this can be viewed in a browser.  This could be cronned for example.

Here is the jamon os monitoring video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drf3d9m5zss

You could also save deltas by adding a class that retains the previous jamon values and subtracts them from the new values.  This delta could be saved say every 5 minutes.   None of these solutions are particularly hard.  If you are interested in taking this on (particularly the last one) I would be interested in putting this in the jamon code base as a nice contribution.

Let me know if you have any further questions.  Also, if you put these questions on the jamon forum.  Others can benefit from the dialog.  I will paste this discussion into the forum.

Steve

• clay_shooter
    clay_shooter
    2011-09-16

We did it on my previous project.  We ran a quartz job that persisted the data on a regular basis. That gave us persistence and the ability to graph across time.  I no longer have access to the code.