Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Setup Problem - Compiled from source

Help
2007-07-19
2012-12-13
  • Robin Walker
    Robin Walker
    2007-07-19

Hi,

May I first congratulate you on openswing, it's very impressive & I'm really pleased to find somebody that has made a useful real-world working example of their framework in the shape of jallinone - this is very rare.

OK, we have downloaded the source for this project and have compiled it but we have some issues when we run it. If we run our compiled version against your system 'http://www.hostingjava.it/-carniel/controller' then we receive a login dialog. If we run the same version on our local system 'http://localhost:8080/jallinone/controller' then we get an error 'java.lang.ClassCastException' - this all seems to stem from line 90 in 'ClientApplet.java' (   VOResponse response = (VOResponse)ClientUtils.getData("databaseAlreadyExixts",new Object[0]);) which was returned an 'org.openswing.swing.message.receive.java.ErrorResponse@3d28e3' rather than a 'org.openswing.swing.message.receive.java.VOResponse@872380'.

The database has not been setup as the program is crashing before it can do this as the point at which this happens is the point at which it decides whether to display a login dialog or the startup wizard.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

• Robin Walker
      Robin Walker
      2007-07-19

I'd like to add that we have traced this a bit further using the Tomcat logs to a server side problem:

SEVERE: Error on processing client request
      java.lang.NullPointerException
              at org.openswing.swing.server.Controller.doPost(Controller.java:349)

Again, any help to find out what is causing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

• Robin Walker
      Robin Walker
      2007-07-23

It's OK we got to the bottom of this problem on Friday - but have just thought to post this. It was all down to the build.xml file not building all of the required jar files. We added in a section to create the serverjaio.jar file properly and it's all ok.

• mcarniel
      mcarniel
      2007-07-23

Can you explain in detail your solution? Have you changed build.xml file?

• Robin Walker
      Robin Walker
      2007-07-23

Well we have actually moved on a lot from this now and have completely re-written the build file so that the system can unpack and repack the jar files from the external projects like jasper reports etc so that we can sign them with our own keys as when we recompile the source and make new jar files from your source then we do not have your keys - We have also redesigned the build files so that they can be used to deploy and undeploy the war file to the Tomcat server as well as packacking up the serveros.jar and clientos.jar files from the openswing source. So we have been completely automating the whole build process using the ant build file so that we do not have to type in any manual commands to sign the other jars or manually package files.

I think that the problem we encountered with the build.xml file was that we ended up with clientjaio.jar and serverjaio.jar files that were empty and so we added in some extra code to copy the class files from the relevant directories into the temporary directory used to create the serverjaio.jar and clientjaio.jar files.  I suspect that we might be suffering from the fact that you have a Netbeans setup whilst we have Eclipse and that yours is geared to a Windows Environment whereas we are using Mac OSX, BSD & Linux.

• bml maolin
    bml maolin
    2011-01-26

Hello everybody, I am a novice, I was deployed jallinone file can not constructed when the war package, I would like to ask the specific steps to deploy ant.(大家好,我是新手,我在部署jallinone文件的时候出现了无法构建成war包,我想请问部署ant的具体步骤。)

• bml maolin
    bml maolin
    2011-01-26

Hello everybody, I am a novice, I was deployed jallinone file can not constructed when the war package, I would like to ask the specific steps to deploy ant.(大家好,我是新手,我在部署jallinone文件的时候出现了无法构建成war包,我想请问部署ant的具体步骤。)