Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Possibility to extract commands out of Visio?

Help
Tim
2013-04-30
2013-05-20
  • Tim
    Tim
    2013-04-30

Hello,

does anyone know, if there's a possibility to extract commands like "close", "save", … out of Visio?
    At the moment I've got a list of 5 commands, but that's way to little.

An important command would be "search an replace". Hope somebody will know :-)

• Anonymous
    2013-05-02

You have a cuple of options.

First is to become familiar with the object model underlying Visio. This is the page to visit for that - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160740.aspx
    Option 2 - if it is available as I do not use Visio at all myself but do know that other Microsoft products support this - is to make use of the macro recorder. Both Word and Excel - which I have automated using Jacob - allow users to create macros. You may already know this but a macro is a series of VBA commands that can be used to manipulate the application and accomplish something. It is possible to record a macro; you perform the operation you wish to automate and the macro recorder creates tha necessary commands and records them in a macro - a sub-routine really. Later, you can use Jacob to execute these same commands to automate the application.

I have undertaken search and replace operations with Word and do not know how similar they will be with Visio but the basis is this;

Search for a specific term using something called a Find object.
    If you do find with you are looking for, then you execute a replace operation on the find object.

There may be something similar in Visio.