Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Forum Markdown Syntax investigation [6381]

2009-11-10
2013-05-14
  • As we have had some reports of issues with the forum markup implementation, I am testing this out.

First, I have been told that using a carriage return (as above), leaves a run-on line, making a big para. The sample below shows the CR worked, so we'll note what the final result shows.

Next, I'm told that coding standard practices, when used here, like user_id - get combined and loose the underscore. I need to try code sample too and see if that happens as the sample below shows it properly.

user_id test

The next reported issue has do do with longer blocks of code. I'll need to request a larger sample, but here's one:

return shell_exec("echo $input | $markdown_script");

return shell_exec("echo $input | $markdown_script");

Used in plain text and using the code input facility.

The next issue report is that using Markdown syntax sends a bunch of control characters to the folks getting the email of the forum. Let's try a table:

<table>
        <tr>
            <td>Foo</td>
        </tr>
    </table>

http://images.google.com/images?num=30&amp;q=larry+bird

• Fred Toussi
    Fred Toussi
    2009-11-11

OK, Im testing now with the line that ends after the period with a carriage return.
    Now I'm just telling the use to use the user_id property on his url, and just typed user_id with an underscore between user and id.
    The preview below is showing one long paragraph but I have already pressed carriage return at the end of two separate paragraphs. There is also some text in italics between the two instance of the undersore (which have both disappeared).

• Fred Toussi
    Fred Toussi
    2009-11-11

The previous message came out exactly like the preview (garbled) as I described it above.

• Fred Toussi
    Fred Toussi
    2009-11-11

Now here is the three lines that include a long line at the top saying what to do followed by two lines of SQL code. After the next full stop and carraiage return, I'm going to click on the code button then paste the three lines in one go where it says enter your code here.
        You can try the following example, with property settings hsqldb.nio_data_file=false and hsqldb.default_table_type=cached specified on the connection URL for the database.
    create table mytalbe (id int check id > 0)
    select from mytable where id > 3 and id < 1

The above didn't work as I see in the previous. I had to enter carriage return TWICE to get a new paragraph. Now I'll try again to enter the code.

You can try the following example, with property settings hsqldb.nio_data_file=false and hsqldb.default_table_type=cached specified on the connection URL for the database.
    create table mytalbe (id int check id > 0)
    select from mytable where id > 3 and id < 1

Aha, this time it  "worked" because I hit carriage return twice after the previous text, but you can see how the two lines of SQL code were pushed out of the "greyed" box.