Windows vista firewall blocking J-Interop WMI

2011-08-10
2012-11-29
  • Ron Zeidman
    Ron Zeidman
    2011-08-10

Hi,
    I get the following exception when I try to connect to a firewall enabled windows vista machine using J-Interop WMI (when the firewall is down I am able to connect to the remote machine without problem).
    I am able to connect to the same computer when the firewall is on using VBS. The vista firewall is already configured to allow remote WMI and WINRM. In addition I cannot find on the windows firewall logs any "Blocked" packeges, only allowed ones…
    Have anyone encountered this problem?

Caused by: org.jinterop.dcom.common.JIException: The RPC server is unavailable. Please check if the COM server is up and running and that route to the COM Server is accessible (A simple "Ping" to the Server machine would do). Also please confirm if the Windows Firewall is not blocking DCOM access.
    at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.init(JIComServer.java:580)
    at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.initialise(JIComServer.java:481)
    at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.<init>(JIComServer.java:414)
    at com.dcom.client.ServiceConnection.connect(ServiceConnection.java:87)
    … 6 more
    Caused by: org.jinterop.dcom.common.JIRuntimeException: The RPC server is unavailable. Please check if the COM server is up and running and that route to the COM Server is accessible (A simple "Ping" to the Server machine would do). Also please confirm if the Windows Firewall is not blocking DCOM access.
    at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIRemActivation.read(JIRemActivation.java:192)
    at ndr.NdrObject.decode(NdrObject.java:36)
    at rpc.ConnectionOrientedEndpoint.call(ConnectionOrientedEndpoint.java:137)
    at rpc.Stub.call(Stub.java:113)
    at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.init(JIComServer.java:568)
    … 9 more

Thanks

• Hi,
        Can you provide a wireshark capture of both the native and j-interop applications ?

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• Ron Zeidman
    Ron Zeidman
    2011-08-14

Hi,
    Thanks for the fast reply, but this didn't help. The vista computer I'm trying to query is not managed by a domain. I've tried adding the firewall exceptions mentioned in the post and it didn't help. I've even tried to open port 445 for all comunication and it didn't help.
    As I said before, I am able to connect to the machine using VBS based WMI script contrary to what was mentioned in stack overflow's forum what makes me more certen its a J-Interop problem. can you identify the packet that was missing from the communication that caused this problem? do you know whats it's purpese? does the VBS script requires it too? why not?
    Thanks for your help looking into my problem.
    Regards,
    Ron Zeidman

• Hi Ron,
                 We will have a look at the packets again and let you know today.

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• Ron Zeidman
    Ron Zeidman
    2011-08-17

Thank you for looking into this problem.
    Best Regards
    Ron

• Ron Zeidman
    Ron Zeidman
    2011-10-30

Did anyone had a chance of looking further into this problem?
    Regards,
    Ron