Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Access is denied on Windows 7?

joe_999999
2011-10-24
2012-11-29
  • joe_999999
    joe_999999
    2011-10-24

Want to access performance counters via WMI. Receive the following error when accessing the local counters (when attempting to authenticate) on my 64 bit Windows 7 work station.

org.jinterop.dcom.common.JIException: Access is denied, please check whether the  are correct. …, so as to avoid such exceptions. 

In the following Java code the 'new JIComServer' call produces the above error. Domain is "localhost", hostname is the work station name, username and password are my login on Windows 7. My login has been granted administrator privilege.

dcomSession = init(domain, username, password);
    comServer = new JIComServer(valueOf("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator"), hostname, dcomSession);

On the windows 7 workstation in 'Component Services->My Computer->Properties->Default Properties' 'Distributed COM' and 'COM Internet Services' are both enabled. 'Default Authentication Level' is set to Connect. 'Default Impersonation Level' is set to Identify.

In 'COM Security->Access Permissions' my login has Local and Remote Access checked.
    In 'COM Security->Launch and Access Permissions' my login has Local and Remote with Launch and Activation checked. i.e. all 4 check boxes.

Help! Would very much like to use j-Interlop.

Note: A C++ program running under my login encounters no issues authenticating and issuing WMI queries to the local Windows 7 workstation.

• Nandan
    Nandan
    2011-10-24

Can u check permission on  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\76a64158-cb41-11d1-8b02-00600806d9b6, which is for the WBEM Scripting Locator.

• joe_999999
    joe_999999
    2011-10-24

It worked. Thank you!

• Scott Selikoff
    Scott Selikoff
    2011-11-15

I'm having the same issue.  If I enable autoRegistration, I get access denied.  Tried modifying the HKCR key but no change.

• Hi,
         On Win7, i think only the "TrustedInstaller" has the right to make changes to the Hive. Can you confirm ?

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• Anonymous
    2011-12-12

Hi everyone,

i'm having the same issues too. I tried to run the examples MSADO, MSWMI and MSWMI2 provided in the test package. However, in all three cases i get the "Access is denied" error message. Changing permissions of WBEM Scripting Locator has no effect. Also i ran the examples locally and remote, involving different user accounts. The result is always the same…

I'm kinda stuck. There must be a way to successfully execute the examples. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated…

Thanks in advance
    Alex

• Hi,
         Can you check the "Local Security Policy" , what does it say for "Network Access: Sharing and security model for Local accounts " ? Should be "Classic -- " .

Thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• Anonymous
    2011-12-14

Hi Vikram,

thanks for your answer. While searching this forum for possible solutions, I already stumbled upon the local security policy hint. However, even though its set to 'Classic- …', i am still getting the 'access denied' error message.
    Any other advice?

Btw, my OS is Win7x64…

Thanks
    Alex

• Erez
    Erez
    2011-12-19

Hi Alex,

If you're running x64, can you check the permission for for the following registry key also?
    HKLM\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{76A64158-CB41-11D1-8B02-00600806D9B6}

Thanks,
    Erez

• Anton Sysoev
    Anton Sysoev
    2012-07-23

It may occurs when a user have empty password in the system.