java.net.SocketException: Address family not

miclib
2011-02-16
2012-11-29
  • miclib
    miclib
    2011-02-16

I'm stuck … Trying to run the wmi  dcom call it gives this message "java.net.SocketException: Address family not supported by protocol family: connect". I traced it to the rpc call starting off with and IP4 connection request then when comServer.createInstance is called it uses the IP6 naming convention and fails.  if I stop the IPhelper service then it gets past the call comServer.createInstance (when the service is stopped the ip4 address is not converted to an ip6 reference). Similarily if I shut down the firewall the same thing happens. I'm using the latest sun java, vista home media  operating system :-(, latest install of jcifs1 1.3.15 and J-interop 2.08.  I think I am missing something basic about this problem would appreciate any advice I could get on this.

• Hi,
          Yes this is a known issues and will be fixed in the next release.

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• miclib
    miclib
    2011-02-17

ok! Thanks.  I'll wait for the release and move on to the next part of my programming :-)

Hmm! did I miss listing of this as a known bug.  Where could I have found this info?

• No you did not miss anything :) .. someone else reported it offline (not via SF.net) .

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• Anonymous
    2011-05-17

Hi.

I have the same problem.
    Can you say, when the fixed version will be released?

Best regards,
    jens

• Hi,
         Can you take the trunk and check ? It should be checked-in.

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• Anonymous
    2011-05-24

Hi,

I've tried trunk revision 135 and still getting this error…

org.jinterop.dcom.common.JIException: An internal error occurred. [0x8001FFFF]
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIRemUnknownServer.call(JIRemUnknownServer.java:158)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIRemUnknownServer.addRef_ReleaseRef(JIRemUnknownServer.java:181)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JISession.addRef_ReleaseRef(JISession.java:772)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JISession.releaseRef(JISession.java:940)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.createInstance(JIComServer.java:835)
        ... 49 more
    Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Address family not supported by protocol family: connect
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(SocketChannelImpl.java:507)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.transport.JIComTransport.attach(JIComTransport.java:185)
        at rpc.Stub.attach(Stub.java:106)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIRemUnknownServer.call(JIRemUnknownServer.java:142)
        ... 54 more

• Hi,
         Can you send a packet capture of this call to "v i k r a m . r o o p c h a n d AT j-interop.org" ?

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• Anonymous
    2011-05-25

Hi Vikram.

There is no traffic, that i could capture.
    The exception is thrown when i try to connect to a ipv6 address from an Win7 host, that has both ipv4 and ipv6 stack activated.

channel.connect(new InetSocketAddress(InetAddress.getByName(host),
                        port));

Maybe this link is helpful: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1357091/binding-an-ipv6-server-socket-on-windows?!

• Hi,
         I think I misunderstood your initial question. I apologize but at the moment j-Interop does not support operations over IPv6. Its there in the road map but bit lower in priority.

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• aditi
    aditi
    2012-10-31

Hi Vikram,

I believe the latest release of J-Interop (2_08) does not have IPv6 support. I found a recent patch - Adding IPv6 Support to JIComServer#decodeDualStringArray() - ID: 3532950 . Do you plan to have a release version with this?

Thanks,
    Aditi

• Hi Aditi,

We have made some more changes but I am not getting enough time to make a release. Will have a look at this patch by this weekend. If it holds the local tests I will push it in the trunk. If you want you can then build the trunk directly.

thanks,
    best regards,
    Vikram

• aditi
    aditi
    2012-11-08

Hi Vikram,

Did you happen to get a chance to look at this patch?

Thanks,
    Aditi