Menu

j-Interop - Vista and UAC

2009-05-28
2012-11-29
  • Markus Doering

Markus Doering - 2009-05-28

Hi,
    I have an working project with j-Interopt (2.05) running in JBoss Application Server on WinXP.
    The COM Application and the JBoss (woring as COM Client) running on the same machine.

Now a customer want to use the application on Vista.
    Everything works fine if I deactivate UAC, but if UAC is active I get the following error message:

org.jinterop.dcom.common.JIException: Access is denied, please check whether the [domain-username-password] are correct. Also, if not already done please check the GETTING STARTED and FAQ sections in readme.htm. They provide information on how to correctly configure the Windows machine for DCOM access, so as to avoid such exceptions.  [0x00000005]
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.init(JIComServer.java:542)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.initialise(JIComServer.java:458)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.<init>(JIComServer.java:427)
        at de.tccproducts.dps.utils.jinteropt.JInteroptUtils.getDispatcher(JInteroptUtils.java:173)
        ... 66 more
    Caused by: rpc.FaultException: Received fault. (unknown)
        at rpc.ConnectionOrientedEndpoint.call(ConnectionOrientedEndpoint.java:142)
        at rpc.Stub.call(Stub.java:112)
        at org.jinterop.dcom.core.JIComServer.init(JIComServer.java:538)
        ... 69 more

Is there any way to configure vista (or JInteropt) to allow the access to COM Server with UAC active (I don't think deactivating UAC is an option for the customer)?

Thanks for help
    Markus Döring
    TCC Products GmbH

• scottley

scottley - 2009-09-10

The best thing to do with UAC enabled is to run your application as a service.  UAC is not applicable to "Local System" or "Network Serice" users. 

I run with UAC enabled (despite being told to disable it) because it is the reason WHY to use Vista.  I have no problems with J-Boss being able to open privileged ports, access files, or whatever when it runs as a Service. 

look up some service create documentation on MSDN.

to create a basic service:
      sc create "Start JBoss or whatever - this is service name" binPath= <...> .....

• scottley

scottley - 2009-09-10

The best thing to do with UAC enabled is to run your application as a service.  UAC is not applicable to "Local System" or "Network Serice" users. 

I run with UAC enabled (despite being told to disable it) because it is the reason WHY to use Vista.  I have no problems with J-Boss being able to open privileged ports, access files, or whatever when it runs as a Service. 

look up some service create documentation on MSDN.

to create a basic service:
      sc create "Start JBoss or whatever - this is service name" binPath= <...> .....