Webcamera interface without opencv in linux

Help
2011-06-15
2013-05-09
  • Sai Yamanoor
    Sai Yamanoor
    2011-06-15

Hi,

I am a novice in using the IVT libraries and I am able to use the tool for interface with Firewire cameras in Linux. I have a requirement that I cannot use open cv libraries for my project. Is there a possibility of interfacing to a webcam without compiling the opencv functions of IVT?

Thanks,
    Sai

• Pedram Azad
    Pedram Azad
    2011-06-16

Hi Sai,

there is the CV4LCapture (Video4Linux) module, but unfortunately it is very rudimentary and I am not sure if your webcam will run with it.

I will try to work on it as possible, but I can't promise when this will be. Any input from users would be very welcome here!

Pedram

• Sai Yamanoor
    Sai Yamanoor
    2011-06-17

Hello Pedram,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestion as follows:

CV4LCapture capture1("/dev/video0",0,CVideoCaptureInterface::e640x480);

The error that I got was:

Camera 1
    Could not set channel #0
    Not a fatal error.Capturing dimensions are : 640, 480
    Could not set the video depth and palette.
    Perhaps not a fatal error.
    Format is not 24bit RGB.
    error: could not open camera1

I am looking forward to hear your thoughts on this.

I also have a question regarding the CLinux1394Capture2 function. When I use this function, is it accessing the firewire camera like a file level access? For e.g /dev/video13940?

I have to write my own device driver for the firewire cameras and its mode of file access is helpful.

Thanks,
    Sai

• Pedram Azad
    Pedram Azad
    2011-06-20

Hello Sai,

the CV4LCapture is rudimentary, unfortunately. So I am not surprised it does not work as is. You probably have to implement the color conversion for the color encoding of your camera. I don't have time right now to assist right now, but I might have next week. You can send me an email so that I have your contact.

The class CLinux1394Capture2 builds on top of libdc1394 (version 2), which builds on top of libraw1394 - which does the file level access I guess. But I haven't looked into libra1394 so far.

Pedram

• Hi,

Can you assist me set up webcam in Linux?

Sai

• Pedram Azad
    Pedram Azad
    2011-07-11

Hello Sai,

please send me an email and provide information about your camera.

Pedram

• Pedram Azad
    Pedram Azad
    2011-07-12

Hello Sai,

please send me an email, as this discussion will be too much back and forth and too specific for this forum.

Pedram