Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Deployment Guide Step 17

adrian
2009-01-15
2013-04-19
  • adrian
    adrian
    2009-01-15

hi, where can i find the :     vmpool-setup-network-xen-guest.sh script?
    thank you

• Pablo Passera
      Pablo Passera
      2009-01-19

Hi Adrian,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for trying the project. You can find that file in the isolated-execution-0.0.1.tar.gz package at the folder ./isolated-execution-0.0.1/src/vmpool/tools/. Please let us know if you have any other problems installing the project. Any comment is welcomed.

Regards,
      Pablo

• Gisela Giusti
      Gisela Giusti
      2009-01-19

The previous guide step (16) should install this script in the /usr/local/bin directory. Try executing the script directly without the "./"
      I will change that in the development guide.

Thanks!

Gisela

• adrian
      adrian
      2009-01-20

hi, i misspelled xen with 'zen', no wonder i couldn't find the script..

i'm in the process of getting familiar with xen so please bear with me...

in step 10: i left the DNS addresses blank.
      prior to step 17, internet access from the host computer (dom 0?) is working fine and the windows xp guest OS isn't working after i made the changes in step 10. however, once i executed the script, even the host computer's internet connection halted, and the guest OS's remained broken.

is the expected outcome after step 17 that both the guest OS and host OS's internet connection to be working fine?

since i messed up the first time round, i am wondering if its because of the order of steps are out of place and this is why its not working the way it should.

• adrian
      adrian
      2009-01-20

hi, i redo everything from the start in order this time round,
      and i had the similar problem at step 17, the user VM's internet connection doesn't work.
      in addition, when i run the vmpool-setup-network-xen-guest script,

i get:

"
      Setting Guest IP to '192.168.0.1'
      Configuring bridge xenbr0
      SIOCDELRT: No such process
      "

if you know what is wrong, please give me some advice..

thank you --adrian

• adrian
      adrian
      2009-01-20

please ignore my previous post.. i didn't comment/uncomment in step 13 properly.  the error message i get now when i run the vmpool script is:

Setting Guest IP to '192.168.0.1'
      Configuring bridge xenbr0
      SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
      xenbr0: unknown interface: No such device.

it seems like i taken a step back. when i run xm create UserVM.cfg, i don't even see the VM coming up after the output:
      "
      Using config file "/etc/xen/UserVM.cfg".
      Started domain UserVM
      "

thank you - adrian

• Pablo Passera
      Pablo Passera
      2009-01-20

The network configuration is a little tricky. I remember having problems similar to what you describe...

Some questions,

- Which Linux distro are you using?
      - Which Xen version do you have installed?
      - Do you have the bridge-utils package installed?

Regards,
      Pablo

• adrian
      adrian
      2009-01-21

hello,

i am using:

bridge-utils.i386, 1.1-2
      xen.i386, 3.0.3-64.el5_2.9
      centOS 5 linux kernel 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen 

i installed xen during a fresh installation of centOS because when i tried to install 3.3.1 and 3.1.3, i encountered some problems.

if it is very likely to be because of the xen version, i guess i'll try to make it work in v3.1

thank you - adrian

• Pablo Passera
      Pablo Passera
      2009-01-21

Try with Xen 3.1. Let me know if you cannot find that package version. I think that version is not available anymore from Xen website. Anyway, I can send you the file.

Regards,
      Pablo

• adrian
      adrian
      2009-01-22

hello, i tried with xen 3.1.0 with centOS 5 linux kernel 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen and when i try to create the UserVm the first time round "xm create UserVM.cfg", i get a white screen as a VM with the title bar "HVMXEN-UserVm". 

what distribution, linux kernel are you using? was the kernel-xen package installed prior to step 1? or was it lumped together with step 2 or step 5?

thank you for your time - adrian

• Pablo Passera
      Pablo Passera
      2009-01-22

We were using Fedora 9. We did not install any package related to xen. We installed Xen from scratch from Xen 3.1 sources. I would recommend you to uninstall all xen related packages and then install xen from the sources .

The kernel version that comes with Xen 3.1 is 2.6.18. Then Xen patches that kernel and generates a version called 2.6.18-xen. That is the one that we are using.

All the Xen installation is part of step 5. You have to do a 'make world' in xen directory and then wait that the compilation process ends (it takes some time). Also, the box has to have internet connection because 'make world' will try to connect to internet to download the kernel 2.6.18 sources. If you don't have internet connection in that machine, there is a way to install Xen copying the 2.6.18 sources by hand. Let me know if you have problems with that.

Regarding the white screen, did you created the image for the VM prior to run 'xm create UserVM.cfg'? That is the step 7

Regards,
      Pablo

• adrian
        adrian
        2009-01-29

hello, can you please email me the xen-3.1.0 package that you used?

for the white screen at step 7, it was a a fresh instance of creating the image.

thank you! - adrian

• Todd Deshane
      Todd Deshane
      2009-01-30

Adrian,

I used the following command to get the Xen 3.1 code:

hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.1-testing.hg

With some compilers you may need this patch:
      http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-06/msg00019.html

Hope that helps,
      Todd

• Pablo Passera
      Pablo Passera
      2009-01-30

We did the same. We downloaded  Xen 3.1 source code from the mercurial repository with the command that Todd sent.

Regards,
      Pablo