I've updated media_harmony for Samba 3.6.3

Developers
2012-04-05
2013-04-25
  • Hi all,

I've updated media_harmony (just media_harmony, not mxf_harmony or any of the other Ingex tools) for Samba 3.6.3.  I'm also attempting to get it included in the main Samba distribution so that it gets updated on a more regular basis as Samba's VFS interface evolves.  Samba enhancement request here:

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8841

I've sent a copy of the code that builds against Samba 3.6.3 sources to Philip.  You can also contact me to get it or for more information.

Andrew Klaassen

• Oh nice, that sounds very promising.  Thank you!

IMO media_harmony could be very interesting not only for pure Ingex systems, but also for moderately priced shared avid storages.

mxf_harmony wouldn't be of any interest for me.

Maybe I'll have a chance to test it in the next weeks. Are the patches posted at the above site enough to build the VFS module or do I need anything else?

• Hi nieselito,

You'll need all the usual build tools (autoconf, make, gcc, Samba build deps) and the Samba sources, as well as git if you want to build against Samba's git-latest.

Here's what you need if you want to build against Samba 3.6 sources instead of git-latest:

https://bugzilla.samba.org/attachment.cgi?id=7465

Andrew

• Hi Andrew,

With the newer one of your posted files I succeeded building media_harmony against OpenSUSE-Samba-3.6.3 source package and it's working as expected.
    Awesome! Thanks again. :-) I really hope mh_vfs will be included in samba sources sometimes soon.

However,  building samba from git-sources using the 3 patches failed.

Cheers
    Michael

• Hi Michael,

Feel free to send a message to samba-technical@lists.samba.org asking how long it will be until bug 8841 is resolved.  :-)

Was the git failure a problem with patching, building, or running?  What was the error?

Also: I've got some new code coming to fix up some problems with the fake-write-time functionality I added.  I'll post it to the Samba bug.

Andrew

• I see the git compiling problem now.  The developers made a bunch of changes to the VFS code since I released that patch.  I'll work on updating it now.

Andrew

• Hi Andrew,

as you already found out it was a building problem.

Using your newest patches samba-git incl. media harmony compiles fine. :-)
    Thank you.

Compiling modules/vfs_media_harmony.c
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c: In function ‘starts_with_media_dir’:
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:201: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:204: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c: In function ‘depth_from_media_dir’:
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:276: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:279: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c: In function ‘is_avid_database’:
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:339: warning: format ‘%i’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘size_t’
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:339: warning: format ‘%i’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 5 has type ‘size_t’
    Building plugin bin/media_harmony.so

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you.

modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:201: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:204: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:276: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:279: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:339: warning: format ‘%i’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘size_t’
    modules/vfs_media_harmony.c:339: warning: format ‘%i’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 5 has type ‘size_t’

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you.

• It looks like Andrews Mod of the Media Harmony VFS finally found it's way into Samba's master branch .

Congrats and thanks to everyone who is involved.

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8841

Björn Jacke <bj@sernet.de> changed:

What    |Removed                     |Added

Status|NEW                         |RESOLVED
             Resolution|                            |FIXED

-- Comment #10 from Björn Jacke <bj@sernet.de> 2012-08-07 17:32:32 UTC --
    thanks for the man page writeup! It's checked in to master now so that people
    can easily use it, looks nice. Please keep sending us fixes for that if you
    have any. We might also assign bug reports related to this module to you -
    that's the price for having this upstream ;-). JFYI: I had to make some
    formating fixes to make it cleanly apply to master and I just checked in some
    "void cannot return something" fixes that broke the Solaris build.