Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

8 SD streams on single recorder

Help
Ivan
2012-06-14
2013-04-25
  • Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-06-14

Is it possible to capture 8 SD streams on single recorder/PC using two blackmagic quad cards.. Like 8 dv50/dvcpro encoders?
    Does anyone had any exprerience with more than 4 channels? I know there's in theory hardware question but i have macpro with dual quad core xeons (with hyperthreading thats 16 cores) and 12GB ram willing to try that.. And borrowing two BMD quad cards is'nt problem.. :) just interested.

Ivan

• John Fletcher
    John Fletcher
    2012-06-19

It might work; you will have to give it a try.  Let us know how you get on.

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-06-22

:) It's working!! And thats awesome!! Just two questions:

1. Is there any chance while I'm recording to view all 8 inputs, because now, while I;m recording i see only four inputs and when I stop, player shows me all 8 inputs and I can preview all eight inputs in the same time, byt when I press record again, player switch in four input mode preview again.
    2. And second one is, I've got problems recording in DV50 Quicktime, but DV50 Raw it's OK. Recorder in ternial just stops and there's no error messages?

• John Fletcher
    John Fletcher
    2012-06-25

Q1 for Matthew
    Q2 - is that just a problem with 8 inputs or is it the same with 4 or fewer?

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-06-25

Q2-A its the same with 4 or less inputs.

• John Fletcher
    John Fletcher
    2012-06-25

Will test that

• Matthew Marks
    Matthew Marks
    2012-06-25

I'm assuming that the player built in to Ingexgui is behaving correctly but that the separate player you're running which continuously shows the incoming signals is only a quad split?  You need to run it with the "-nona-split" rather than the "-quad-split" option and supply extra parameters for the additional sources you want to display.

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-06-25

No, the only palyer I'm running is the one built into the Ingexgui and that's the player I'm talking about, maybe to edit "run_ingexgui.sh" and add "-nona-split" if there is any parameters regarding player that's built in ingexgui?? At the moment I can't check "run_ingexgui.sh" because I'm at home..

• Matthew Marks
    Matthew Marks
    2012-06-25

OK I understand now - it's a long time since I have used a controller on a recorder machine.  Adding that option to the GUI command line won't work - I'll look into it.

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-07-03

Hi, just to report, everything works just fine except that nona split while recording in ingexGUI, but I''ve turn off GUI player and using quad split with options set for nona in ingex.conf..
    I've got one question for Matt, I remember that you/ve mention somewhere on forum but I can find where, that I can specify witch audio output to use for audio monitoring, I would like to know how I can redirect audio to ALSA (internal intelHDA output)?

• Matthew Marks
    Matthew Marks
    2012-07-03

I do intend to get you a fix for the quad split live view limitation.

You can use command line option -a <device number> to specify an audio device.  You can list the devices with player -print-audio-dev.  1 is probably ALSA, although I'm afraid you're rather on your own in the murky world of Linux audio…

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-07-03

Thanks, but please, could you be more specific, should i add for example "-a 1" to command line when I starting player or capture, or maybe IngexGUI?
    I've tried with quad, like adding -audio-dev <num> but nothing helps..
    I'ts all because I don’t have any audio monitoring while I'm capturing with Blackmagic quad cards just for the info, and as we know, for now Ingex does not support SDI output with BMD cards:)

And of course there's terminal message like this when starting Quad:
    Info: X11 display adaptor 0, port 143, format 0x59565955 (UYVY) packed
    Info: X11 display adaptor 0, port 143, format 0x30323449 (I420) planar
    Info: Auto detected X11 XV output available
    Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
    Cannot connect to server socket
    jack server is not running or cannot be started
    ERROR: Default audio device is not available
    Warning: Audio device is not available and will be disabled
    Info: X11 display adaptor 0, port 143, format 0x59565955 (UYVY) packed
    Info: Failed to pass through connect stream 10 (sound, pcm)
    Info: Failed to pass through connect stream 11 (sound, pcm)
    Info: Failed to pass through connect stream 19 (sound, pcm)
    Info: Failed to pass through connect stream 20 (sound, pcm)
    Info: Failed to pass through connect stream 28 (sound, pcm)
    Info: Failed to pass through connect stream 29 (sound, pcm)
    Warning: Source media has unknown length
    Unlocked
    Playing
    Started
    Speed 1x
    Info: Updated stream 0 name to 'ch0'
    ………

And again, BIG thanks

• Matthew Marks
    Matthew Marks
    2012-07-04

The -a argument for ingexgui is equivalent to the -audio-dev argument for the stand-alone player.

The problem is probably occurring because you're running more than one player, and the first one has grabbed the default audio device.  If you do player -print-audio-dev you should see one called "dmix", which, not surprisingly, allows multiple connections.  Unfortunately this device number seems to change depending on what other devices are in use: I find it is 6 if no players are running and then moves to 3 if one is running using it.  So perhaps you could run the GUI with the default device, then determine what number to send to subsequent players by running player -print-audio-dev.

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-07-06

Heh.. The problem was actually in system sevices because alsa seems to running (it shows RUN-YES, sometimes YES* (with star)), but only after I restart it (services), sound works.. Thats strange but the same problem I have with tao-consnaming service, every time I restart machine i have to restart those two services in order to work and ofcourse runlevels are set right.. But that's something like system bug/problem so I won't bother you with that.
    Anyway, BIG THANKS for helping to sort thing out..

• Thats strange but the same problem I have with tao-consnaming service, every time I restart machine i have to restart those two services in order to work and ofcourse runlevels are set right.

I had the same problem with tao-cosnaming, it needed a manual restart after every OS boot.
    For me adding "$network" at the end of the  "# Required-Start: $remote_fs …"-line in "/etc/init.d/tao-cosnaming" seems to have solved it.

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2012-07-26

Thanks Nieselito! :)