Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Audio Only Capture / Screen Capture in Ingex?

2012-05-28
2013-04-25
  • Mike Palmer
    Mike Palmer
    2012-05-28

Hi Guys, 

I am covering some games at the World Ultimate Frisbee championships later this year… We have successfully setup Ingex to capture from HDMI using a BMD Intensity Pro card.  This is kind of a labor of love and we have no / low budget for the setup (ie I pay for most of the gear.)

I have two problems I need to solve and I was hoping you guys would have some answers or suggestions:

1.  More audio inputs

Unfortunately the card is only able to capture two channels of Audio into Ingex… We are hoping to have an external Audio interface to record extra audio from our commentators (we may be able to get multiple languages.)  I have purchased some cheap Alesis IO4 USB1 sound interfaces that are fully supported by Linux.  I was wondering if it is possible to ether add extra audio channels from the USB to the camera Recorder in Ingex or create an Audio only recorder / capture for the USB interface.  (this could be useful in other environments too…)

2.  Score Boards / Graphics

During the games we are hoping to generate and record Scoreboard graphics in real time "live."  Our aim is to minimize post production to basically just rendering the game and pulling out some highlights.  I was wondering if I had a graphics generator running if I could set up a way of recording the graphics from a second monitor output using Ingex (for example a screen capture or something like that.)  I am investigating running CasparCG (windows software) under Wine in Linux… but I am open to other Linux possibilities to achieve this. 

Obviously using an Ingex record process to record the graphics and the extra Audio channels saves us a lot of time syncing the footage later.

Any thoughts or ideas on if this is possible, or how it could be achieved would be appreciated… thanks in advance

Mike Palmer
    ulti.TV

• John Fletcher
    John Fletcher
    2012-06-06

I'm afraid there isn't any support in Ingex for recording from soundcard or screen capture.

• Mike Palmer
    Mike Palmer
    2012-06-06

Thanks for your reply John…  I thought so…

Would it be possible to create a "recorder" that would capture audio only?    Perhaps using SOX audio library…

Or does anyone know of a way of adding extra audio channels through the SDI or HDMI?

I am finding it hard to find a single tool that does everything I wan't… happy to do some work to build functionality if it is at all possible…

Mike P

• John Fletcher
    John Fletcher
    2012-06-06

It would be possible to write a capture program to do audio from soundcard (and blank video).  You could base it on dvs_sdi.cpp

For SDI we support up to 16 audio channels per SDI stream so you could use an embedder (e.g. Sonifex Redbox RB-VHCMD16)