I'm running RH8 and Privoxy 3.0.0-2 which is included
with RH. I set it up to be chained from squid
(transparent setup). Both are up and running.
config.privoxy.org is accessible and I can see the
current supression ratio. However, I am unable to get
the status detection working. If I select any of the view
or edit options on the show-status page I get the well-
known response. The same goes for the bookmarklets,
action look-ups and so on. Basicly, when processing is
required, config.privoxy.org fails.
I read a couple of questions in this forum regarding the
problem and the solutions suggested. My configuration
is set as recommended. Squid is between the browser
and Privoxy; Privoxy is set as a parent proxy to Squid. I
tried to reset the squid cache and the local IE cache but
it had no effect on status detection.
I then tried to bypass Squid, first by disabling any local
redirections (transparency) and setting my IE client to
use gate:8118 as the proxy server. It works and in
addition there are no problems with status detection.
As far as I was able to see, the only difference to the
Privoxy configuration is the listen-address, which has to
be set to the local IP (127.0.0.1) when chaining from
Maybe if someone shed some light on what Privoxy's
embedded http scripts are actually doing to detect its
state it would be easier to solve this issue. I know it's all
in the source files but I would prefer to avoid having to
reverse-engineer the whole package in order to find out.