Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

error - 'no response from server'

Help
davi
2008-09-10
2012-10-06
  • davi
    davi
    2008-09-10

Hi,

I'm trying to get iipsrv.fcgi running on Ubuntu 8.04 with apache2 and mod_fastcgi. The suggestion on the troubleshooting page (), to use the IIP protocol directly, as a test, works just fine (i.e., entering a URL of the form http://localhost/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/path/myimage.tif&wid=200&cvt=jpeg).

I downloaded IIPMooViewer 1.1 and modified two paths in the iipmooviewer.html, one to the test image and the other to iipsrv.fcgi. When I direct my browser to load the directory in which iipmooviewer.html resides, I get a popup dialog from the browser (Firefox 2) saying:

"The page at <my URL> says:

No response from server
    /var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi"

The log file at /tmp/iipsrv.log shows no activity, even at the highest verbosity level (4). It logs plenty of information when I try the direct URL method.

Despite the fact that I followed the install documentation (http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/documentation/server/) as carefully as I could, I suspect some simple configuration issue, since I am totally new to apache administration, fastcgi, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

• Davi

• Ruven
      Ruven
      2008-09-10

What path did you put for iipsrv.fcgi? "/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi" or "/var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi"? For your installation it should be the former. This is in fact also the default, so you don't really need to specify this.

• davi
        davi
        2008-09-11

Hi Ruven,

I inadvertently posted my answer to your question in a reply to my original post, rather than to your post. (Getting used to the sourceforge website.)

Any thoughts? I appreciate any help you can give, I'd like to get this working, I have some very large images I'd like to be able to share with people.

Thanks very much,

• Davi

• Ruven
          Ruven
          2008-09-11

8) modify the "server" javascript variable to '/var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi'

You didn't read my reply! The server path in the javascript should point to the url of the server, which is /fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi for your installation.

• davi
      davi
      2008-09-10

My install process was something like:
      1) sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-fastcgi
      2) see in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/fastcgi.conf that /var/lib/apache2/fastcgi seems to be where it expects to find fastcgi binaries
      3) download + build iipsrv-0.9.7; copy iipsrv.fcgi to /var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/
      4) Following IIPImage server install directions, but modifying to use this path to fastcgi, I add the following to /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:

enable iipsrv

<Directory "/var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/">AllowOverride None
      Options None
      Order allow,denyAllow from all
      </Directory>

Set the handlerAddHandler fastcgi-script fcg fcgi fpl

Initialise the FCGI server - set some default values

FastCgiServer /var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi \ -initial-env LOGFILE=/tmp/iipsrv.log \ -initial-env VERBOSITY=2 \ -initial-env JPEG_QUALITY=50 -initial-env MAX_IMAGE_CACHE_SIZE=10 \ -initial-env MAX_CVT=3000

5) sudo apache2ctl restart
      6) download iipmooviewer-1.1 to my ~/public_html directory, decompress it, and then download the PalaisDuLouvre.tif sample image into the iipmooviewer directory
      7) modify the "images" javascript variable in iipmooviewer-1.1/iipmooviewer.html to point to the local PalaisDuLouvre.tif (using full path)
      8) modify the "server" javascript variable to '/var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi'
      9) browse to <my url>/~<my username>/iipmooviewer-1.1/
      10) get the 'no response from server' error message from the browser
      11) following the IIP troubleshooting page, browse to <my url>/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi; unsurprisingly, this results in a "page not found"
      12) to /etc/apache2/sites-available/default, add:

ScriptAlias /fastcgi/ /var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/

and restart apache

13) now browse to <my url>/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi, it works
      14) try the direct URL method suggested in the troubleshooting page as follows:
      http://<my_url>/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/home/<my_username>/iipimage_server/iipmooviewer-1.1/PalaisDuLouvre.tif&wid=200&cvt=jpeg

and this works fine.

But, browsing to <my url>/~<my username>/iipmooviewer-1.1/ gives the 'no response from server /var/lib/apache2/fastcgi/iipsrv.fcgi' error.

Thanks,

• Davi

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments