Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

allow filenames with arbitrary suffixes

2013-10-30
2014-07-19
  • Illtud Daniel
    Illtud Daniel
    2013-10-30

Hi,

Currently getImageType just looks at the file suffix to determine tiff/jp2. We've got files in a respository, which renames datastreams to a format like: "llgc-id_3891196+access+access.0".

We can patch the code, but that's not very sustainable.

Two approaches that getImageType could use:

• ImageMagick or similar to try and work out what type it is (probably expensive, new dependency)
    • File magic numbers
      first bytes of jpeg2000 are: '0000 000C 6A50 2020 0D0A 870A'
      first bytes of tiff are either : '49 49 2A 00' or '4D 4D 00 2A'

Or there could be an override param that forces a particular type, regardless of filename?

Any comments?

• Ruven
    Ruven
    2013-10-31

File magic numbers are I think the way to go here. Maybe there's some code we can hack out of the linux "file" utility to do this? Where did you get these first byte sequences from?

• Illtud Daniel
    Illtud Daniel
    2013-11-04

Sorry, that anonymous post was me, I didn't notice I wasn't logged in.

• Illtud Daniel
    Illtud Daniel
    2013-11-04

...and of course, you won't get that anonymous post until somebody moderates it, so I'm apologising in advance...

• Ruven
    Ruven
    2013-11-08

OK, I'll take a look at this and see how best to integrate this into the server.

• Ruven
    Ruven
    2014-07-19

OK guys, I've just uploaded new code to github, which implements magic number signature format testing for image files. So, there are no longer any restrictions on how images are named!

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments