Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

No Filenames with Umlaut Supported

Help
2006-05-12
2013-04-17
  • Hallo

Thanks for this graphic tool to my iriver, but at least for the filenames that contain german umlauts (ä, ö, ü, Ä, Ö, Ü), i have to use ifp-line on the command-line.
    Could you please support this too (is it UTF-8 ?).

Thanks.

• Jim Campbell
      Jim Campbell
      2006-05-12

It should work if your LANG environment variable is set correctly. 

Try starting ifpgui using this:

bash#> LANG=de_AT.UTF8 ./ifpgui

One other note:  you are using the latest version?
      ifpgui 0.10.7

• I had some other prolems.
      I use Debian/Sarge. The deb-pack was built for testing. So I took the source. Now usb.h was not found. It took me some days to find out that I have to install libusb-dev and libusb++-dev.

Now I just see the top level of files/directories. Unplugging does not help. ifp-line works fine.

# LANG=de_CH.UTF8 ./ifpgui
      Qt: Locales not supported on X server
      Loading translation file qt_de_CH.UTF8 failed
      err:  [get_file_size] err=-2. Error opening file '\Werner Tiki Kuestenmacher - simplify your life\1 Werner Tiki Küstenmacher - Stufe 1 Ihrer Lebenspyramide - Vereinfachen Sie Ihre Sachen.mp3'.
      err:  [_ifp_list_dirs] err=-2. Error getting filesize.
      err:  [ifp_list_dirs] err=-2. _list_dirs failed.
      err:  [ifp_get_file_list] err=-2. couldn't get basic directory listing.
      Could not communicate with iRiver device.
      Try unplugging the USB link, powering off the device, and plugging it back in.

# $ ls *
      ifpgui

translations:
      ifpgui_blank.qm  ifpgui_da_DK.qm  ifpgui_de.qm  ifpgui_ru.qm

# lsusb
      Bus 005 Device 015: ID 4102:1007 iRiver, Ltd. iFP-700 series mp3/ogg vorbis player
      Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

• Jim Campbell
      Jim Campbell
      2006-05-25

First my disclaimer.  I don't know anything ;)

The problem is that your X-server does not support your chosen language.

Here is a snip I found on a web site. 

If you see "Qt: Locales not supported on X server" after setting LC_ALL, it means that your X server doesn't support this locale. You may have to restart X, or choose another value for LC_ALL.
      Another way is to use the iso8859-15 charset, which is probably a better longterm solution. However, this might reduce the number of available fonts, on a standard linux system. In that case, prefer the @euro solution, if you have such a locale, since it allows to keep the latin1 (iso8859-1) charset. If you have unicode fonts, then select iso8859-15.
      Jarno Elonen pointed me to the fact that both (@euro and the locale name) can be combined. For instance he sets: LANG=fi_FI@euro.ISO8859-15
      LC_ALL=fi_FI@euro
      I must admit I don't know yet how this really works, and what should really be set. Any additional input appreciated.

Good luck.

Jim