Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Problem importing iCal4j file into Outlook

Help
Anonymous
2012-10-25
2013-06-05

• Anonymous
    2012-10-25

I raised this question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13044773/ical4j-ics-file-not-importing-to-outlook-2010
    over on Stackoverflow and someone pointed me here. Here is the text again:

1 down vote favorite

I'm having trouble importing an ics file via the 'internet calendars' option in outlook. The file is produced I believe by a java applet. When I open the ics file directly within outlook 2010 it works fine i.e. click on the link and open the downloaded file with outlook. I've also validated it online with the validator mentioned in some stack overflow posts.

However when I subscribe to the link via internet calendars I get the following error:

"The file "calendar" is not a valid Internet Calendar file"

I haven't been able to work out what's going wrong here and the error message isn't particularly helpful.

Does anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

Thanks.

I've added a sanitised version of the file here. Can anyone point out if there are problems with this. I'm assuming the Summary & description elements are probably not the problem as they contain free text. I've also removed the urls from UID (which are correct).

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
    PRODID:ID
    VERSION:2.0
    CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
    BEGIN:VEVENT
    DTSTAMP:20121025T123438Z
    DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20121011
    DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20121012
    SUMMARY:summary
    UID:version-14117@url
    DESCRIPTION:description
    CATEGORIES:Issues
    END:VEVENT
    BEGIN:VEVENT
    DTSTAMP:20121025T123438Z
    DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20121109
    DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20121110
    SUMMARY:summary
    UID:version-13796@url
    DESCRIPTION:description
    CATEGORIES:Issues
    END:VEVENT
    END:VCALENDAR

• Ben Fortuna
    Ben Fortuna
    2012-10-25

Hi,

There are a few similar issues here in the forums, I think the most obvious cause for Outlook import failure is a lack of UID property on the events and lack of METHOD:PUBLISH property on the calendar itself. Your calendar appears to have UID properties but not the METHOD:PUBLISH. Try adding it before the first BEGIN:VEVENT to see if anything changes.

Also a search of the forums on "Outlook import" might show some other issues discovered in Outlook. If you still can't figure it out try exporting a calendar from Outlook and compare the properties in the export and your import file.

regards,
    ben

• Anonymous
    2012-10-26

Adding METHOD:PUBLISH did the trick. It's a pity I don't have access to the system producing the iCal file so I'm not sure I will be able to add this line 'automatically' and use the calendar feed in Outlook which is a shame.

Thanks for the info.