Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Use GIT instead of mercurial

thkoch2001
2011-11-14
2013-06-05
  • thkoch2001
    thkoch2001
    2011-11-14

Hi,

thank you very much for moving to a DVCS. Did you choose mercurial for strong reasons or was it more a fifty-fifty decision? In the later case: Could you imagine switching to GIT?

Only the major reasons for GIT:
    - GIT seems to have become the standard: Android, most of Debian, Drupal, Eclipse, Fedora, Gnome, KDE, Linux Kernel, Perl, PHP (ongoing), PostgreSQL, Qt, Ruby on Rails, X.org (freedesktop.org)
    - Much better Eclipse support for GIT, don't know about other IDEs
    - No support for local only branches in Hg AFAIK

More arguments: http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/#hg

I'm writing my bachelor thesis about calendaring and ReST and might contribute to update to RFC 5545 if I find time.

Best regards, Thomas Koch

• Ben Fortuna
    Ben Fortuna
    2011-11-25

Hi Thomas,

I just wrote a long post about why mercurial, but SourceForge login abandoned me and I lost it..

The main points were:

* mercurial seems a bit easier to learn coming from svn/cvs (commands more similar to svn)
    * I have had a better experience with the hg eclipse plugin (the git one is ok, but not quite as polished IMHO)
    * I haven't seen much need for local/feature branching yet in ical4j so that didn't really impact the decision

So the main priority was to make the migration as simple as possible for less experienced users, and hg seems a bit easier in that respect.

I wouldn't rule out a switch to git at some point if there is a real need to, currently the most appealing reason is github - currently I am sticking with sourceforge to avoid confusion over the active host site, but the constant bugs (see above) are really testing my resolve..

regards,
    ben

• Pascal Robert
    Pascal Robert
    2011-12-01

Hi Ben,

Apply plans to move ical4j-connector to Mercurial too?

• Ben Fortuna
    Ben Fortuna
    2011-12-01

Hi Pascal,

I already have moved all the projects to Mercurial, including ical4j-connector. Apologies I thought I had mentioned it already. I am happy to apply patches based on the CVS codebase still, as the only recent changes are from you anyway I think. You can see the recent changelog here:

http://ical4j.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/ical4j/ical4j-connector/shortlog

regards,
    ben