After more than four years, I18NEdit 1.0 is replaced with the next public version, I18NEdit 1.2.2. It features a multitude of changes and enhancements to its ancestor while keeping the overall program structure and interface.
- The seletion of shown locales is uncoupled from the translation mode. Even when translating from English to German, the French locale can be shown additionally.
- All shown locales and the comment fields can be edited, even in translation mode.
- The checksums for finding changed strings are always computed on the UTF-8 representation of the string. I18NEdit is clever enough to transform old checksums automatically without marking these strings as "changed".
- The editor fields take all the available space and do not limit themselves to a short amount of lines any more when there are loads of free space...
- I18NEdit is spiced up with showing flag icons and coloring source and target locale.
- Finally, we have a French translation on behalf of Bart Jourquin. Thanks for this!
- Many internal structures reworked. As I18NEdit is such an old project with a quite changing history, its source code is not in really good shape. This has changed a bit, but after all it's an ongoing project.
- Redefinition of the "find changed locales" feature as a "search". This is not really a change in the feature itself, but a change in its perception and presentation.
- String search feature. This is the only really new feature visible to the user.
- Search for superfluous items in a target locale. If entries are removed in the translation source, I18NEdit asks to remove such enties in the translation target, also.
- Dialog beautification. Some of the configuration dialogs are much nicer now: Locales can be given by clicking on lists instead by writing their internal representation down in a text field. Most prominent exception to this cleanup is the main project configuration dialog.
- Immediate locale change of the interface. As a side-effect of some enhancements in the underlying QJCC library, I18NEdit's interface locale can now be changed during runtime.
- Program icon. Finally...
I18NEdit manages internationalized properties for Java programs and features a PHP adapter class for them. All property bundles are shown in a tree, each property is editable directly in all available localisations. I18NEdit keeps track of changes in a source locale and presents the translator only what really has been altered since his last translation session. Distributed working groups are supported by merging features.
I18NEdit has been started by the German software company cantamen and is distributed under the GNU General Public License, GPL.